Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Croatia. Their footie was less like international wrestling than Colombia and they had a really sh1t time in living history. France, on the other hand: we're still pissed at the cheese-eating surrender monkeys for invading Normandy and our other southerly counties.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I'm actually a little bit glad we (England) lost last night. I'm  on a cycling holiday this weekend to see the Tour de France. I imagine it would have been quite awkward supporting England in a France/England final in a French Pub. πŸ™‚

Plus it means we get home at a suitable time Sunday night, as we can drive and listen to the game instead of staying till it's over. Considering the day on Saturday starts at 04:00, I'd rather thankful for that,. as it's back to work Monday.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Been rooting for France as a committed Francophile my whole adult life.  

AAAaaaaalez les Bleues !!!

• JaybeeSQL - Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:01 PM

Been rooting for France as a committed Francophile my whole adult life.  

Your francophile spelling needs a little more commitment ... πŸ™‚

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin - Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:08 PM

JaybeeSQL - Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:01 PM

Been rooting for France as a committed Francophile my whole adult life.  

Your francophile spelling needs a little more commitment ... πŸ™‚

Bien remarque'  πŸ™‚

• It's Croatia for us.  We absolutely love the place and I think I'm genetically pre-disposed not to support France.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Interesting, Microsoft appearing to be offering an extra 3 years of Extended Support on SQL Server 2008/2008R2 if you rehost your database in Azure. Says to me that Microsoft are aware that there are a lot of people still using the old tech, and are resisting the upgrade. In some ways doesn't surprise me, but still, 10 year old tech definately shows it age. I can't way to finally get rid of 2008 instance; fortunately it's only used by one system now.

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2018/07/12/sql-server-2008-end-of-support-is-the-first-step-to-tomorrows-database/

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, July 13, 2018 3:28 AM

Interesting, Microsoft appearing to be offering an extra 3 years of Extended Support on SQL Server 2008/2008R2 if you rehost your database in Azure. Says to me that Microsoft are aware that there are a lot of people still using the old tech, and are resisting the upgrade. In some ways doesn't surprise me, but still, 10 year old tech definately shows it age. I can't way to finally get rid of 2008 instance; fortunately it's only used by one system now.

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2018/07/12/sql-server-2008-end-of-support-is-the-first-step-to-tomorrows-database/

One big reason to hang on to SQL 2008/R2 is the licensing cost model change from 2012...  I suspect that quite a few beancounters are still objecting to the price-hike / licensing model change (delete according to personal preference)

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• ThomasRushton - Friday, July 13, 2018 4:00 AM

Thom A - Friday, July 13, 2018 3:28 AM

Interesting, Microsoft appearing to be offering an extra 3 years of Extended Support on SQL Server 2008/2008R2 if you rehost your database in Azure. Says to me that Microsoft are aware that there are a lot of people still using the old tech, and are resisting the upgrade. In some ways doesn't surprise me, but still, 10 year old tech definately shows it age. I can't way to finally get rid of 2008 instance; fortunately it's only used by one system now.

One big reason to hang on to SQL 2008/R2 is the licensing cost model change from 2012...  I suspect that quite a few beancounters are still objecting to the price-hike / licensing model change (delete according to personal preference)

Yep, that's exactly why the 2008 server we have is still there. The subsidiary company don't want to fork out a per core licence. Problem is, they also then (have the audacity to) complain that they don't get the bells and whistle functionality that other parts of the company have. Well, if they had SQL server 2016/2017 they'd get them too! Can't win... :hehe:

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Friday, July 13, 2018 4:13 AM

ThomasRushton - Friday, July 13, 2018 4:00 AM

Thom A - Friday, July 13, 2018 3:28 AM

Yep, that's exactly why the 2008 server we have is still there. The subsidiary company don't want to fork out a per core licence. Problem is, they also then (have the audacity to) complain that they don't get the bells and whistle functionality that other parts of the company have. Well, if they had SQL server 2016/2017 they'd get them too! Can't win... :hehe:

I have the same scenario, but 1 version older.  We managed to migrate everything off our SQL 2005 server some time ago...except for 2 things.  The one database on the main instance is for a hardware-based and they won't connect to SQL 2008.  The other instance is for an old Sharepoint that people talked about migrating for years, but nobody actually did it.  There's still talk about it going away, but no work has been done on a replacement yet.  Sigh.

• And some people wonder why they never got a response: Vague Question: Complex Topic

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen - Friday, July 13, 2018 12:31 PM

And some people wonder why they never got a response: Vague Question: Complex Topic

Drew

I had to concur with you.

• Grant Fritchey - Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:42 AM

Well, every team I was rooting for is out of the cup. We're down to "Not France" in my house.

How has everyone else been?

I'm rooting for France, because of my French bonds. Either because I was told the stork brought me from Paris, or just that I spent a year in France after finishing high school.
    Mexico once again gave hope in the group stage, but lost on the round of 16 as usual. I haven't followed the matches, partly because of the time and partly because of the lack of enthusiasm in the US.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Friday, July 13, 2018 1:02 PM

Grant Fritchey - Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:42 AM

Well, every team I was rooting for is out of the cup. We're down to "Not France" in my house.

I'm rooting for France, because of my French bonds. Either because I was told the stork brought me from Paris, or just that I spent a year in France after finishing high school.
    Mexico once again gave hope in the group stage, but lost on the round of 16 as usual. I haven't followed the matches, partly because of the time and partly because of the lack of enthusiasm in the US.

Hey at least Mexico didn't fail before they even got to the finals!!! To be honest it was probably a good thing overall for US soccer. US Soccer was really complacent during the truly bizarre Kilnsmann era and the atmosphere around the camp when he was in charge was toxic to say the least. It is sad because it killed the international career of several of the senior players. But it has led to what I hope is the beginning of a new era of a supportive atmosphere with a more transparent leadership. We have some serious talent in some of our younger players. I am expecting a better result in the build up for Qatar.

But yeah between US not qualifying and the incredible amount of diving by Neymar and other players it has been frustrating. FIFA needs to start handing out yellows for diving. It is embarrassing to watch, I can only imagine how those guys must feel when they watch replays of how horrible their acting is.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange - Friday, July 13, 2018 2:32 PM

Luis Cazares - Friday, July 13, 2018 1:02 PM

Grant Fritchey - Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:42 AM

Hey at least Mexico didn't fail before they even got to the finals!!! To be honest it was probably a good thing overall for US soccer. US Soccer was really complacent during the truly bizarre Kilnsmann era and the atmosphere around the camp when he was in charge was toxic to say the least. It is sad because it killed the international career of several of the senior players. But it has led to what I hope is the beginning of a new era of a supportive atmosphere with a more transparent leadership. We have some serious talent in some of our younger players. I am expecting a better result in the build up for Qatar.

But yeah between US not qualifying and the incredible amount of diving by Neymar and other players it has been frustrating. FIFA needs to start handing out yellows for diving. It is embarrassing to watch, I can only imagine how those guys must feel when they watch replays of how horrible their acting is.

Diving is like lower back issues: commonly suffered, easily acted out, and in most nearly impossible to disprove by an experienced Physician, much less a Ref with no medical training.  

Anyway, 4pm will soon be here.... Vive La France!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 61,831 through 61,845 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply