Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:52 AM

JaybeeSQL - Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:14 AM

I have met NOBODY in the last 2 years who was a Brexit voter, AND wasn't at least ONE of the following:
     1) Ignorant of macro-economics;
     2) Bitter
     3) Lonely;
     4) Mentally ill. 
    Not a one. 

Heh,.. so all IT workers, eh? :D:D:D

LMAO initially...then upon rereading the list I realised to my horror most IT people WOULD exhibit one of those traits !!!

Hopefully though if there's a 2nd Referendum, they wouldn't vote, as their internal logic would run thus:  "Given the 1 to 1 relationship between voter and vote, will my single vote be likely to yield my desired result, and if so, is that result worth the loss of 30minutes of my time on http://www.IBowToMyFemininistMistress.com?

🙂

• JaybeeSQL - Sunday, July 15, 2018 6:08 AM

Jeff Moden - Thursday, July 12, 2018 8:52 AM

[/quot

LMAO initially...then upon rereading the list I realised to my horror most IT people WOULD exhibit one of those traits !!!

Hopefully though if there's a 2nd Referendum, they wouldn't vote, as their internal logic would run thus:  "Given the 1 to 1 relationship between voter and vote, will my single vote be likely to yield my desired result, and if so, is that result worth the loss of 30minutes of my time on http://www.IBowToMyFemininistMistress.com?

🙂

To be sure, it was meant as a "kind-of-a-joke" just because we're in that business.  The sorry fact of the matter is that all too many people on both sides of the aisle in the US fall into that category.  What's really terrible is the process for becoming a candidate for (especially the POTUS position) election.  It's been a very long time since it feels like I voted for the person who can best do the job (regardless of position).  It feels more like I'm voting for someone to keep their opponent(s) from coming to office (lesser of two or more evils, to be blunt)  The process has become a silly media circus of mostly negativity and innuendo. I think the very process of trying to become a POTUS candidate is keeping some really good people from running, especially when you consider the personal expenses in time, money, reputation, aggravation, and affect on one's family involved.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Sunday, July 15, 2018 7:40 AM

JaybeeSQL - Sunday, July 15, 2018 6:08 AM

🙂

To be sure, it was meant as a "kind-of-a-joke" just because we're in that business.  The sorry fact of the matter is that all too many people on both sides of the aisle in the US fall into that category.  What's really terrible is the process for becoming a candidate for (especially the POTUS position) election.  It's been a very long time since it feels like I voted for the person who can best do the job (regardless of position).  It feels more like I'm voting for someone to keep their opponent(s) from coming to office (lesser of two or more evils, to be blunt)  The process has become a silly media circus of mostly negativity and innuendo. I think the very process of trying to become a POTUS candidate is keeping some really good people from running, especially when you consider the personal expenses in time, money, reputation, aggravation, and affect on one's family involved.[/quote]
    I agree with you Jeff. I feel that someone that wants an elected office has disqualified themselves by the mere act of signing up to be on the ballot.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS - Monday, July 16, 2018 11:27 AM

Jeff Moden - Sunday, July 15, 2018 7:40 AM

[/

I agree with you Jeff. I feel that someone that wants an elected office has disqualified themselves by the mere act of signing up to be on the ballot.

AMEN!  It couldn't have been said any better, no matter what side of the aisle anyone is on.  Public service used to be about public service, but not any more.

• Jeff Moden - Sunday, July 15, 2018 7:40 AM

To be sure, it was meant as a "kind-of-a-joke" just because we're in that business.  The sorry fact of the matter is that all too many people on both sides of the aisle in the US fall into that category.  What's really terrible is the process for becoming a candidate for (especially the POTUS position) election.  It's been a very long time since it feels like I voted for the person who can best do the job (regardless of position).  It feels more like I'm voting for someone to keep their opponent(s) from coming to office (lesser of two or more evils, to be blunt)  The process has become a silly media circus of mostly negativity and innuendo. I think the very process of trying to become a POTUS candidate is keeping some really good people from running, especially when you consider the personal expenses in time, money, reputation, aggravation, and affect on one's family involved.

Don't forget that unless you're in one of the handful of swing states and you happen to live in a state where the candidate you want to vote for happens to be in the minority your vote is completely meaningless to the over all process/

• Ed Wagner - Monday, July 16, 2018 11:44 AM

WayneS - Monday, July 16, 2018 11:27 AM

AMEN!  It couldn't have been said any better, no matter what side of the aisle anyone is on.  Public service used to be about public service, but not any more.

Or maybe you/we were naiver?

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • SWell, don't say I didn't warn you.

The European Parliament has voted (again) in favour of a resolution calling for the "Privacy shield" deal to be suspended if it isn't up to scratch by 1 September. This time CCBE (The Council of Bars and Law Societies of Europe) has stated its agreement with that.  There have been several other EU Parliament resolutions that said pretty much the same, but now that CCBE has stated its agreement there is practically no chance that a challenge in the  Europen courts would fail.  So fare-well that "Safe Harbour" substitute, I think it can no longer fly. 
    The problem, basically, is that many parts of the American establishment (the Justice Department, the CIA, the FBI, and too many more) are not effectively constrained by American law, and certainlynone of them regard that they are constrained by any international treaty that the UsA has entered into.  That's a bit like the UK Inland Revenue, which has made it quite clear that it will pay no intention to some aspects of British law and will not regard court judgements against them as meaning they must change their procedures even when the judgemet explicitly states they should - not quite as bad as some of the American bodies, but getting close.

Tom

• This is really getting ridiculous. Why is it so hard for people to actual do some thinking instead of having things handed to them?  And yes, I gave in and did it.  Arg!

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, July 18, 2018 4:04 PM

This is really getting ridiculous. Why is it so hard for people to actual do some thinking instead of having things handed to them?  And yes, I gave in and did it.  Arg!

Seems like a you problem

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, July 18, 2018 4:37 PM

Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, July 18, 2018 4:04 PM

This is really getting ridiculous. Why is it so hard for people to actual do some thinking instead of having things handed to them?  And yes, I gave in and did it.  Arg!

Seems like a you problem

Probably, but I basically gave him the answer in the sample.  It wasn't that hard to apply to his other problem.

• Argh...
    So today I was all set to happily telework when it all went sideways in an instant...
    The VPN client when I connected said "I'm downloading an update to myself"
    And I thought, "OK, cool, lets let that run and get some of my stuff set up for the day"
    Then the VPN client said "Well, I've removed myself and I can't make a VPN connection to finish updating, so, buh-bye!"
    And with that, my relaxed morning mood went straight out the window...
    Drove in to work, docked the laptop, e-mailed our desktop support folks, tried installing the client from our software center application, to which it kept reporting "failed," "failed," until after smacking the retry button 5 or 6 times it suddenly said "oh, wait, I worked."

Disconnected the laptop from the wired network, hotspotted through my cell phone to test it out...

Now I'm hoping / waiting for my team lead to approve:
    1.  My cancel of telework for today
    2.  Approve my telework for tomorrow (which I just mentioned this to him)

So, how's everyone else' Thursday morning?
    :crazy:

• jasona.work - Thursday, July 19, 2018 6:04 AM

Argh...
    So today I was all set to happily telework when it all went sideways in an instant...
    And I thought, "OK, cool, lets let that run and get some of my stuff set up for the day"
    Then the VPN client said "Well, I've removed myself and I can't make a VPN connection to finish updating, so, buh-bye!"
    Drove in to work, docked the laptop, e-mailed our desktop support folks, tried installing the client from our software center application, to which it kept reporting "failed," "failed," until after smacking the retry button 5 or 6 times it suddenly said "oh, wait, I worked."

Disconnected the laptop from the wired network, hotspotted through my cell phone to test it out...

jasona.work - Thursday, July 19, 2018 6:04 AM

Argh...

After finally getting my "change collation on db and all columns" script to work yesterday, today is expected to be boring.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, July 18, 2018 4:04 PM

I won't "pile on" but I am curious... what's the link you're speaking of?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Luis Cazares - Thursday, July 19, 2018 6:50 AM

jasona.work - Thursday, July 19, 2018 6:04 AM

Argh...

After finally getting my "change collation on db and all columns" script to work yesterday, today is expected to be boring.

To be fair, I also fully expect (going forward) today to be boring as well.  One minor permission change request from someone is really the only thing on my plate right now.

• jasona.work - Thursday, July 19, 2018 6:04 AM

Argh...

It's actually a Monday cleverly disguised as a Thursday.:(

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 61,846 through 61,860 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply