Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (6/30/2009)

SQL 2005 on Itanium's a joy.

I've come over all nostalgic now :crying:

• Lynn Pettis (6/30/2009)

If all three instances try to go to max memory levels, then yes it is more than the physical memory in the server.

Good post. Just quoted this bit because that was what I was getting at with the AWE reference - IIRC 2000 AWE statically allocated AWE on start-up (just buffer pool, admittedly) so maybe that is what is protecting him in that configuration...? As I said, I think I've forgotten most of 2000 now. :sigh:

• Paul White (6/30/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/30/2009)

If all three instances try to go to max memory levels, then yes it is more than the physical memory in the server.

Good post. Just quoted this bit because that was what I was getting at with the AWE reference - IIRC 2000 AWE statically allocated AWE on start-up (just buffer pool, admittedly)

To the level set in min server memory, I think. If that's 1GB on each, he's fine. Could get nasty if, for any reason, they all try to allocate up to max though

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Paul White (6/30/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/30/2009)

Good post. Just quoted this bit because that was what I was getting at with the AWE reference - IIRC 2000 AWE statically allocated AWE on start-up (just buffer pool, admittedly) so maybe that is what is protecting him in that configuration...? As I said, I think I've forgotten most of 2000 now. :sigh:

I don't feel like checking, was AWE enabled? Personally, with 8 GB Physical RAM on the servre and running multiple instances, I wouldn't have enabled AWE on the server. I have a couple of production servers (x32) here running with 8 GB RAM and two instances of SQL Server 2005 EE. I have the /3GB switch in the boot.ini file, and both instances set for a maximum of 3 GB RAM, but AWE is not enabled. No problems. Of course, one instance is production and the other is for training (user) so the training instance doesn't have as much activity.

And thanks for the compliment on the post.

I also guess I was wrong on what the problem was on that thread, well I should probably go find it and acknowledge it there.

• As tempting as the AWE 2K topic is, and as much as I dislike the /3GB switch, I must get some sleep!

Night all. 🙂

• Paul White (6/30/2009)

WayneS (6/29/2009)

Hey gang... I'm looking to take "She who must be obeyed" (in this case, both my wife and mother... )

When I first read that, it sounded like you married your mother :w00t: :hehe:

Anybody else have "I'm my own grandpa" running through their head?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (6/30/2009)

Paul White (6/30/2009)

WayneS (6/29/2009)

Hey gang... I'm looking to take "She who must be obeyed" (in this case, both my wife and mother... )

Heck, I thought he was referring to more of my relatives down in the Ozarks.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn Pettis (6/30/2009)

I don't feel like checking, was AWE enabled?

Yes. At least, it was enabled in the config that he posted, can't tell if /PAE was in the boot.ini or not though. I didn't check the error log. At 1.6 MB zipped, I didn't fancy the download or reading through it all.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Paul White (6/30/2009)

As tempting as the AWE 2K topic is, and as much as I dislike the /3GB switch, I must get some sleep!

Night all. 🙂

Good Night Paul! 😉

• jcrawf02 (6/30/2009)

Paul White (6/30/2009)

WayneS (6/29/2009)

Well, now that you mention it, I do now. In fact your comment forced a flash back to the Flying W Wranglers singing it.

Definitely brought a smile to my face.

• Today I actually felt that I am invincible or totally ignored. It was as if I was a ghost... 😛

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (6/30/2009)

Today I actually felt that I am invincible or totally ignored. It was as if I was a ghost... 😛

:hehe:

Looks like totally ignored to me.

Gail Shaw

• At least I am not dead yet.... I am not a ghost....:hehe:

-Roy

• 3NF-Boy got me ROFL with this response:w00t:. I can't wait to see Gus's answer. 😉

• Roy Ernest (6/30/2009)

At least I am not dead yet.... I am not a ghost....:hehe:

Heh. You really were skipped right by. Shame since you had the answer PDQ.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 6,256 through 6,270 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply