Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I can hold m ground in English but I am not coming anywhere near you Gus.... 😛

-Roy

• This is when I do not have a problem saying that English is a second language for me.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Roy Ernest (6/30/2009)

I can hold m ground in English but I am not coming anywhere near you Gus.... 😛

I read and mostly understood Frank Herbert's "Dune" when I was seven. I've been playing with the English language ever since, and it's quite a toy! Not many can match my vocabulary.

Generally, I try to police what I write/say to avoid that kind of thing. Every so often, though, it's more fun to avoid abjuring obfuscation. (Anyone not in on that joke, "abjure obfuscation" means, literally, "actively avoid being difficult to understand; take care to be clear".)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GilaMonster (6/30/2009)

Roy Ernest (6/30/2009)

Today I actually felt that I am invincible or totally ignored. It was as if I was a ghost... 😛

:hehe:

Looks like totally ignored to me.

Looks pretty much ignored to me as well. But maybe not... OP came to the conclusion you were trying to drive.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• GSquared (6/30/2009)

My abilities in lexiphanicism are singularly singular, are they not? I'm capable of a highly affected, albeit effective, vocabulary, when I wish to effect the effect of lexicographicolatry.

And my acquaintances remonstrate on my sporadic employ of excessively complex vocabulary.....

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GSquared (6/30/2009)

Roy Ernest (6/30/2009)

I read and mostly understood Frank Herbert's "Dune" when I was seven. I've been playing with the English language ever since, and it's quite a toy! Not many can match my vocabulary.

Generally, I try to police what I write/say to avoid that kind of thing. Every so often, though, it's more fun to avoid abjuring obfuscation. (Anyone not in on that joke, "abjure obfuscation" means, literally, "actively avoid being difficult to understand; take care to be clear".)

If you've ever read Restaurant at the End of the Universe, you may remember this section when grammar and time travel collide.

Gaby

• Gail, you'll like this one. The OP wants us to use our crystal ball to help solve his problem.

Don't know about you, but mine seems to be permanently cloudy.

• Gaby Abed (6/30/2009)

GSquared (6/30/2009)

Roy Ernest (6/30/2009)

If you've ever read Restaurant at the End of the Universe, you may remember this section when grammar and time travel collide.

Yep.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Lynn Pettis (6/30/2009)

Gail, you'll like this one. The OP wants us to use our crystal ball to help solve his problem.

< rubs hands together >

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (6/30/2009)

GSquared (6/30/2009)

My abilities in lexiphanicism are singularly singular, are they not? I'm capable of a highly affected, albeit effective, vocabulary, when I wish to effect the effect of lexicographicolatry.

And my acquaintances remonstrate on my sporadic employ of excessively complex vocabulary.....

Exactly!

Edit:

My cohorts lament

My lexical extent

Whilst I delite

In every bite

Of hypervocabularic bent

(Okay, stop me now. I'm having WAY too much fun with this!)

Property of The Thread

• GSquared (6/30/2009)

GilaMonster (6/30/2009)

GSquared (6/30/2009)

john.arnott (6/30/2009)

3NF-Boy got me ROFL with this response:w00t:. I can't wait to see Gus's answer. 😉

No more waiting required. Let me know if I overdid it.

Oh my, I think I need a dictionary again 😉

j/k

(I had to check the spelling on one of those. I feel so out of practice on this kind of thing! 🙂 )

Overdone? Not at all, Gus. Your answer was absolutely perfect; it explained clearly why you'd made that assumption without denigrating the OP's language skills (too much). If he/she is a native English speaker, then this may be a wake-up call to raise the level of expression from ultra-casual text-speak to more standard usage.

• Gaby Abed (6/30/2009)

I willan already on-reading that yesterday again tomorrow 😛

• Lynn Pettis (6/30/2009)

Gail, you'll like this one. The OP wants us to use our crystal ball to help solve his problem.

Crystal ball needed here as well...

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (6/30/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/30/2009)

Crystal ball needed here as well...

Sorry, crystal ball's broken and the rain-water natural-stone scrying bowl is dry until the summer rains.

I'll try reading the tea leaves (or the coffee grounds)

Gail Shaw

• GSquared (6/30/2009)

My abilities in lexiphanicism are singularly singular, are they not?

[font="Verdana"]Welcome to the department of redundancy department.[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 6,286 through 6,300 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply