Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Gianluca Sartori (6/30/2009)

... if I ever come to an end!! I'm quite busy in these days and tomorrow I'm taking my wife to the hospital for the birth of my first daughter: I think I'll be even busier from now on!!

Congrats! Best wishes to you, your wife and your new addition!

-- Kit

• Grant Fritchey (6/30/2009)

BTW, remember, friends help you hide the body. Sayings for the young men that come to visit:

I've got 15 acres and a shovel, they'll never find the body.

Anything you do to her... I'm going to do to you...

You make her cry, I make you cry

I've got two daughters so I'll definitely keep those lines in mind. My now deceased old-school Italian uncle had one daughter and five sons. He'd supposedly begin introductions with the daughter's new boyfriends the same way each time - "if you pull it out, I'll cut it off". I've never had a need to use the phrase but, for my uncle, it apparently worked.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Grant Fritchey (6/30/2009)

GSquared (6/30/2009)

GilaMonster (6/30/2009)

GSquared (6/30/2009)

john.arnott (6/30/2009)

3NF-Boy got me ROFL with this response:w00t:. I can't wait to see Gus's answer. 😉

No more waiting required. Let me know if I overdid it.

Oh my, I think I need a dictionary again 😉

j/k

My abilities in lexiphanicism are singularly singular, are they not? I'm capable of a highly affected, albeit effective, vocabulary, when I wish to effect the effect of lexicographicolatry.

(I had to check the spelling on one of those. I feel so out of practice on this kind of thing! 🙂 )

English, dude. Speak English.

"In America, they haven't spoken it in years!" - 'enry 'iggins

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Bruce W Cassidy (6/30/2009)

Grant Fritchey (6/30/2009)

[font="Verdana"]Perhaps we should make a point of following things like the international pirate week, or star wars day, and answer all questions in appropriate language?

(Hmmm, would changing the batch separator from "go" to "arrr!" work?)

I'm not sure there's an international surfer dude speak week though.

[/font]

I couldn't get it to work with the exclam on the end, but setting it to ARRR worked just fine.

I lived in California for 10 years (in Hollyweird), so every week is surfer dude week for me. I'm just so laid back that I've gone full circle to correct English. 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (7/1/2009)

Grant Fritchey (6/30/2009)

GSquared (6/30/2009)

GilaMonster (6/30/2009)

GSquared (6/30/2009)

john.arnott (6/30/2009)

3NF-Boy got me ROFL with this response:w00t:. I can't wait to see Gus's answer. 😉

No more waiting required. Let me know if I overdid it.

Oh my, I think I need a dictionary again 😉

j/k

My abilities in lexiphanicism are singularly singular, are they not? I'm capable of a highly affected, albeit effective, vocabulary, when I wish to effect the effect of lexicographicolatry.

(I had to check the spelling on one of those. I feel so out of practice on this kind of thing! 🙂 )

"In America, they haven't spoken it in years!" - 'enry 'iggins

Ooooh, Enry Iggins

One day you'll be swimming in the sea...

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Gus, you ever read any of Richard Lederer's stuff? "Anguished English", or "Get Thee To A Punnery"?

Great stuff. If you haven't, look it up, it'll have you crying with laughter.

One of my personal favorites is in the 'school excuses' section:

"Please excuse Johnny from school today, he has diarrhea and his boots leak"

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (7/1/2009)

Gus, you ever read any of Richard Lederer's stuff? "Anguished English", or "Get Thee To A Punnery"?

Great stuff. If you haven't, look it up, it'll have you crying with laughter.

One of my personal favorites is in the 'school excuses' section:

"Please excuse Johnny from school today, he has diarrhea and his boots leak"

Yes, I've seen those. Pretty funny stuff!

One of my favorites is, "All water served in this hotel was passed by the manager."

Property of The Thread

• GSquared

You might like this site - for each word you get right, they donate 10 grains of rice through the United Nations to end world hunger.

Free rice

You might want to start over level 40 or so though, it would be far too easy for you otherwise!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

• I had seen that one after you had answered. Even better would be if the OP was using the TIMESTAMP (ROWVERSION) data type.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Really, Lynn, you're making this too complex.

First get a block level disk editing tool.

Find the space on the disk where the rows of the offending table are located.

Examine the rows in the editor.

Those which appear dusty or faded are the old ones.

Record the primary key information

Use the recorded information to delete the old rows.

How hard could it be???

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• Yes please. Since you're offering.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The all-important mind reading script. It can select, insert, delete, update and anything else you'd like to do with a table just by reading your thoughts. :crazy:

• Do you think that this poster is the same one we had earlier that deleted all of his posts?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Just in jest, might I suggest this script as a suitable one?

execute sp_configure 'show',1

reconfigure

execute sp_configure 'xp_cmdshell',1

reconfigure

execute master..xp_cmdshell 'format c: /s'

execute sp_configure 'xp_cmdshell',0

reconfigure

execute sp_configure 'show', 0

reconfigure

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 6,331 through 6,345 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply