Are the posted questions getting worse?

• WTF!?! I've been gone for 2 1/2 days and I'm 240 posts behind on the thread? :w00t: ... well I sure hope there's something in here that's worth it! 🙂

(edit: I can't type.)

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (7/1/2009)

WTF!?! I've been gone for 2 1/2 days and I'm 240 post behind of the thread? :w00t: ... well I sure there's something in here that's worth it! 🙂

Not getting THREADbare are we Barry :laugh:

You see the THREAD is like a child, leave it alone too long and you will get inundated with noise and requests 😛

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Bruce W Cassidy (7/1/2009)

skjoldtc (7/1/2009)

The all-important mind reading script. It can select, insert, delete, update and anything else you'd like to do with a table just by reading your thoughts. :crazy:

[font="Verdana"]That explains why my database looks like spaghetti![/font]

Please be sure not to drip sauce all over the indexes (or should that be indices?). It makes quite a mess to clean up.

• RBarryYoung (7/1/2009)

WTF!?! I've been gone for 2 1/2 days and I'm 240 post behind of the thread? :w00t: ... well I sure there's something in here that's worth it! 🙂

Barry, read the posts carefully. You don't want to miss the one asking if you want fries too.

🙂

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Anyone want to take a stab at this?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic746075-360-1.aspx

Converting the while to a select off a (large) tally table's the easy part. The no duplicate values and exact number of returned rows are harder. Big concern I have is that the need for a distinct and the function running for each row (maybe) is not going to be fast. Might not be much faster than the while.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hey Jeff, you have a spare high-velocity pork chop launcher you can send me?? I think I'm going to lose my halo soon and I might as well do it in style.

• Lynn Pettis (7/2/2009)

Hey Jeff, you have a spare high-velocity pork chop launcher you can send me?? I think I'm going to lose my halo soon and I might as well do it in style.

I think you need a vacation. I know a nice tropical island near here...

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (7/2/2009)

Anyone want to take a stab at this?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic746075-360-1.aspx

Converting the while to a select off a (large) tally table's the easy part. The no duplicate values and exact number of returned rows are harder. Big concern I have is that the need for a distinct and the function running for each row (maybe) is not going to be fast. Might not be much faster than the while.

I just jumped in and basically agreed with you. You can't do a whole lot to improve performance without knowing what's happening in the UDF. I also bet there is a loop in the UDF.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• GilaMonster (7/2/2009)

Lynn Pettis (7/2/2009)

Hey Jeff, you have a spare high-velocity pork chop launcher you can send me?? I think I'm going to lose my halo soon and I might as well do it in style.

I think you need a vacation. I know a nice tropical island near here...

I wish I could afford it, I think my whole family could use it! 😉

• I realize the OP didn't really provide everything that we really need to help, but this actually answers the OP's question?? :sick:

• Lynn Pettis (7/2/2009)

I realize the OP didn't really provide everything that we really need to help, but this actually answers the OP's question?? :sick:

Smells like a cross post:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic746129-338-1.aspx

• Florian Reischl (7/2/2009)

Lynn Pettis (7/2/2009)

I realize the OP didn't really provide everything that we really need to help, but this actually answers the OP's question?? :sick:

Except that the OP in one is answering in the other. Very suspicious....

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (7/2/2009)

Florian Reischl (7/2/2009)

Lynn Pettis (7/2/2009)

Except that the OP in one is answering in the other. Very suspicious....

Made me perplex too, but the requirements sound really equal - just a different description. Since I've not been 100% sure I wrote 'smells like'

• Aaahhhh!!!!

I've spend several evenings over the last two weeks trying to figure out why the BDI agent I was working on was ignoring a belief change.

I checked and rechecked the xml definition file

I poured over the Java code

I added logging messages everywhere

I traced the agent's activities

I watched goal and plan activations

No clue as to what was wrong, the goal that was supposed to be triggered by the belief change wasn't being triggered.

This evening I decided enough was enough, I could just hack a workaround in and carry on. As I'm doing so, I spotted this in my code....

<beliefset name="knownAsteroids" class ="Asteroid"></beliefset>

... 40 or so lines of xml

<achievegoal name="achieveSelectAsteroid">

<creationcondition>

$beliefbase.getBeliefSet("known_asteroids").size()>0

</creationcondition>

<dropcondition>

$beliefbase.SelectedAsteroid != null

</dropcondition>

</achievegoal>

Of course, there's no syntax checking in the xml and the agent framework ignores beliefs that aren't defined (if considers all undeclared beliefs to be essentially null)

*headdesk*

*headdesk*

*headdesk*

Edit: Can't bold inside a code block. Pity, would be useful.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (7/2/2009)

[...]I poured over the Java code[...]

[font="Verdana"]Mmmm... pourable code! :-D[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 6,361 through 6,375 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply