Are the posted questions getting worse?

• WayneS (6/29/2009)

Hey gang... I'm looking to take "She who must be obeyed" (in this case, both my wife and mother... ) to Niagra Falls. Does anyone here know anything about this area? I'm looking for when it would be not so hot, but not too chilly. Also, what all is there to do/see besides the falls, on both sides of the border?

Thanks!

I'm guessing you'll want a two-seat barrel? 😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Lynn Pettis (6/30/2009)

Roy Ernest (6/30/2009)

David, That was funny... Gail, Grant, Lynn, Jeff, GSquared and all of you the Ghost busters... :hehe:

Lynn, you were posting at break neck speed today.. Jumping one forum to the other... You are on fire today...:-D

Bored here at work today. I have things to do, but just can't get motivated.

Bored? Dude, you did like 400 over the past week!

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• GilaMonster (6/30/2009)

Roy Ernest (6/30/2009)

Today I actually felt that I am invincible or totally ignored. It was as if I was a ghost... 😛

:hehe:

Looks like totally ignored to me.

Heh, I wouldn't worry about it too much, Roy. The same thing used to happen to me all the time. Just remember: head down, elbows out, full speed ahead! 😀

[/font]

• GSquared (6/30/2009)

GilaMonster (6/30/2009)

GSquared (6/30/2009)

john.arnott (6/30/2009)

3NF-Boy got me ROFL with this response:w00t:. I can't wait to see Gus's answer. 😉

No more waiting required. Let me know if I overdid it.

Oh my, I think I need a dictionary again 😉

j/k

My abilities in lexiphanicism are singularly singular, are they not? I'm capable of a highly affected, albeit effective, vocabulary, when I wish to effect the effect of lexicographicolatry.

(I had to check the spelling on one of those. I feel so out of practice on this kind of thing! 🙂 )

Wow, have I got a site[/url] for you Gus! 🙂

[/font]

• RBarryYoung (7/2/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/30/2009)

Roy Ernest (6/30/2009)

David, That was funny... Gail, Grant, Lynn, Jeff, GSquared and all of you the Ghost busters... :hehe:

Lynn, you were posting at break neck speed today.. Jumping one forum to the other... You are on fire today...:-D

Just a little. But's that's okay, I'm sure you'll also catch back up with me the week of the 13th, as I'll be be doing the ref thing that week at the PPI being held at the Air Force Acedemy that week. It is a 7 day long Soccer Tournament for U11 through U18 teams.

Oh, Barry, since you dropped Vader, does that mean I gotta find a picture of me to upload as an avatar now??

Oh, and thank you, you are the first to notice that I broke 8,000.

• GilaMonster (7/2/2009)

Anyone want to take a stab at this?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic746075-360-1.aspx

Converting the while to a select off a (large) tally table's the easy part. The no duplicate values and exact number of returned rows are harder. Big concern I have is that the need for a distinct and the function running for each row (maybe) is not going to be fast. Might not be much faster than the while.

If the scalar function is compute-intensive (which from the sounds of it, it probably is) rather than just slow because it is being called RBAR® - then this is a case where I would seriously consider generating the 'secret codes' in a streaming CLR TVF (in the same vein as Adam Machanic's solution in Flo's string-splitting thread).

The insert then becomes a trivial TOP (N) INSERT with a NOT EXISTS, or something similar. Put the compute-heavy stuff where it belongs, and the set-based data operations where they belong 🙂

I don't think the OP is necessarily up to that task, so I posted some general stuff on his thread instead :rolleyes:

• David Webb (7/1/2009)

Really, Lynn, you're making this too complex.

First get a block level disk editing tool.

Find the space on the disk where the rows of the offending table are located.

Examine the rows in the editor.

Those which appear dusty or faded are the old ones.

Record the primary key information

Use the recorded information to delete the old rows.

How hard could it be???

I prefer a 300 KiloGauss focused bulk eraser.

[/font]

• Gianluca Sartori (7/1/2009)

mazzz (7/1/2009)

GSquared

You might like this site - for each word you get right, they donate 10 grains of rice through the United Nations to end world hunger.

Free rice

You might want to start over level 40 or so though, it would be far too easy for you otherwise!

I see that most words are latin or coming from latin. Looks like those are the most "difficult" from English people. (My poor score: 1770 rice grains, then I lost interest).

A Croatian friend of mine lives in Birmingham UK and is a teacher at local university. She says that common people don't have the mingle idea of how words are spelled. She doesn't either for may words, but, when she asks for help, people come with two or three (wrong) spellings for the same word...

In Italian we don't have that issue: words are spelled exactly how you pronounce.

I got up to level 45, before I wandered off... 🙂

[/font]

• Lynn Pettis (7/1/2009)

Hey Barry,

What ever happened to the little green dude that was breathing down your neck a while ago?? 😉

WTF, man! I clocked you at over 100 pts/Day! Someone needs to pull you over and ask you where the fire is! 😛

plus I've been in project delivery hell for the last 9 days)

[/font]

• What nerve this one has to change the posted code after I had posted a solution. I should have quoted the original post. I won't make that mistake with this OP again!

• Paul White, Love your new avatar!

• Lynn Pettis (7/2/2009)

Paul White, Love your new avatar!

RBARry's change of avatar caused an imbalance in the force,which has now been corrected 🙂

edit: previous reply made little sense

• Okay, now he has crossed the line!! Who the hell does he think he is calling me a liar!!!!

<>

• Lynn Pettis (7/2/2009)

RBarryYoung (7/2/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/30/2009)

Just a little. But's that's okay, I'm sure you'll also catch back up with me the week of the 13th, as I'll be be doing the ref thing that week at the PPI being held at the Air Force Acedemy that week. It is a 7 day long Soccer Tournament for U11 through U18 teams.

Oh, Barry, since you dropped Vader, does that mean I gotta find a picture of me to upload as an avatar now??

Heh. You know it's funny, but the only times in my life I've been a "trendsetter" has been when I was distinctly trying not to be. 🙂 Anyway, my peer review last week was pretty clear in recommending that my web presence should be "more professional".

Of course I noticed, you're that first person to ever pass me. I know that I've been slacking for the last quarter (still trying to catch-up at work from my hospital stay), but you've really been tearing it up. :w00t: Of course now, I'll probably never get to #5 on the leader board. *sigh* 🙂

[/font]

• Lynn Pettis (7/2/2009)

RBarryYoung (7/2/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/30/2009)

Heh. You know it's funny, but the only times in my life I've been a "trendsetter" has been when I was distinctly trying not to be. 🙂 Anyway, my peer review last week was pretty clear in recommending that my web presence should be "more professional".

Of course I noticed, you're that first person to ever pass me. I know that I've been slacking for the last quarter (still trying to catch-up at work from my hospital stay), but you've really been tearing it up. :w00t: Of course now, I'll probably never get to #5 on the leader board. *sigh* 🙂

[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 6,391 through 6,405 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply