Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Paul White (7/2/2009)

Lynn Pettis (7/2/2009)

Paul White, Love your new avatar!

RBARry's change of avatar caused an imbalance in the force,which has now been corrected 🙂

edit: previous reply made little sense

Unh, unh, we don't make that joke. Them's is fightin' words. 😛

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Uh, ... little help here Steve? Seems like I got 3 more posts than I needed...

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Lynn Pettis (7/2/2009)

RBarryYoung (7/2/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/30/2009)

Bored here at work today. I have things to do, but just can't get motivated.

Bored? Dude, you did like 400 over the past week!

Just a little. But's that's okay, I'm sure you'll also catch back up with me the week of the 13th, as I'll be be doing the ref thing that week at the PPI being held at the Air Force Acedemy that week. It is a 7 day long Soccer Tournament for U11 through U18 teams.

And, Oh yeah, I'll be on vacation all nest week, so there's very little chance that I'll catch you anytime soon, Lynne. 🙂

[/font]

• RBarryYoung (7/3/2009)

Uh, ... little help here Steve? Seems like I got 3 more posts than I needed...

Steve's on vacation. Will be back sunday

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Well, he was quick to set the record straight, but I'm still pissed.

• Lynn Pettis (7/2/2009)

Okay, now he has crossed the line!! Who the hell does he think he is calling me a liar!!!!

I read that post as him apologising to you for making a mistake. The comma's missing, so there's no way to tell if it was intended as

"Sorry, Lynn made a mistake"

or

"Sorry Lynn, made a mistake"

I prefer to assume the less 'aggressive' of options when there's more than one way to read a post. Especially from people who either speak English as a second (third, fourth) language and from those who use over-shortened language constructs.

I really think you need a vacation. Stuff here appears to be getting to you far more than it used to.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (7/3/2009)

Lynn Pettis (7/2/2009)

Okay, now he has crossed the line!! Who the hell does he think he is calling me a liar!!!!

I read that post as him apologising to you for making a mistake. The comma's missing, so there's no way to tell if it was intended as

"Sorry, Lynn made a mistake"

or

"Sorry Lynn, made a mistake"

I prefer to assume the less 'aggressive' of options when there's more than one way to read a post. Especially from people who either speak English as a second (third, fourth) language and from those who use over-shortened language constructs.

I really think you need a vacation. Stuff here appears to be getting to you far more than it used to.

Hard to agree here considering an earlier post in the thread where he said, and I quote, "No my date datatype is "datetime" " refering back to the earlier post where he had changed his code AFTER I had posted a solution.

• RBarryYoung (7/3/2009)

Lynn Pettis (7/2/2009)

RBarryYoung (7/2/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/30/2009)

Bored here at work today. I have things to do, but just can't get motivated.

Bored? Dude, you did like 400 over the past week!

Just a little. But's that's okay, I'm sure you'll also catch back up with me the week of the 13th, as I'll be be doing the ref thing that week at the PPI being held at the Air Force Acedemy that week. It is a 7 day long Soccer Tournament for U11 through U18 teams.

And, Oh yeah, I'll be on vacation all nest week, so there's very little chance that I'll catch you anytime soon, Lynne. 🙂

Barry, one tiny thing please, drop the "e" on my name, it is Lynn. 😉

• Maybe I am letting things get to me more right now, but in this case I really don't think so.

It's just how Eswin changed things and tried to make it look like I hadn't met his requirements initially. Perhaps, instead of say "no my date data type is datetime" and had said, okay, but let's change the requirements a bit, now how would you do it. Then none of this would have occurred. And to start off the post with "are you pulling my leg"? Please, I really felt like he was trying to make me look like I wasn't working with him to help solve a problem.

• Lynn Pettis (7/3/2009)

Maybe I am letting things get to me more right now, but in this case I really don't think so.

It's more a general impression across several threads than just this one.

It's just how Eswin changed things and tried to make it look like I hadn't met his requirements initially. Perhaps, instead of say "no my date data type is datetime" and had said, okay, but let's change the requirements a bit, now how would you do it.

I don't think that was his intention.

He's very 'casual' about the english language in most threads (don't know if he's English first language or not), and shortens his writing to the point that there are several interpretations when he writes stuff. My feeling is that he meant 'No, oops, sorry, the data type is datetime', but he leaves out all the 'unnecessary' words and it comes out in a way that's completely misinterpretable.

It's the kinda thing some people do when they start online. They type as they would speak, but all the body language, intonation, etc is missing and so half the meaning is lost.

A good friend of mine was like that when she started on chat. She typed as she would have spoken to someone and a couple times I read the meaning wrong and got angry, she couldn't understand why because she hadn't meant to be offensive. She learnt better, fairly quickly.

Gail Shaw

• Generally i try to 'teach a man to fish'.

But really, come on give it a try.....

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic746875-49-1.aspx

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• @Barry: Good to see you're back and nice new avatar!

@Lynn: Congratulation to >8000!

@paul-2: Congratulation to >1000, didn't see this before, now you can call your self a guru :-D. Your new avatar really made me laughing! First I saw Barry changed his, my first thought was the imbalance of the force... Two more clicks and everything was fine. 😛

• Dave Ballantyne (7/3/2009)

Generally i try to 'teach a man to fish'.

But really, come on give it a try.....

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic746875-49-1.aspx

Well Dave, it seems that you did help him. http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost746898.aspx

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (7/3/2009)

Well Dave, it seems that you did help him. http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost746898.aspx

Looking forward to when he moves on to "Chapter 2 - The Insert Statement " 🙂

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• You laugh. I was speaking with someone recently and he said that he and his team do some SQL development, but nothing complex, no joins or anything.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 6,406 through 6,420 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply