Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Paul White (7/6/2009)

GSquared (7/6/2009)

Isn't that supposed to be all one word? (Alloneword, even.)

That looks vaguely like German :unsure:

(Flo: consider Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän1)

edit: better still:

Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft2

or

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz3

(Ok so I googled)

1: "Danube steamship company captain."

2: "association of subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services"

3: "beef labeling regulation & delegation of supervision law"

That last one won an award

You missed the

Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaenskajuetenschluesselloch

one.

Will leave it up to you to google that one...

Fixed typo...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (7/8/2009)

You guys just darn post too quickly, even if the likes of Barry and Steve are off on holiday, and Lynn has headed off throwing yellow and red cards at poor little kids' heads.

I don't throw Yellow and Red cards at poor little kids' heads, they actually earn those cards when I choose to give them to them.

• Seems like I hit the same problem. Exception thrown somewhere along the stack, but quote posted anyhow. And on top of that I got a spelling mistake, in triplicate. Now, that's embarassing. Gonna go back and fix just now.

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Lynn Pettis (7/8/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (7/8/2009)

You guys just darn post too quickly, even if the likes of Barry and Steve are off on holiday, and Lynn has headed off throwing yellow and red cards at poor little kids' heads.

I don't throw Yellow and Red cards at poor little kids' heads, they actually earn those cards when I choose to give them to them.

Earn them, or deserve them?

Actually I thought you were off to the tournament already, but then again, catching up with 900-odd messages posted during a three week bloody mostly rainy holiday in Europe where it is supposed to be summer, and that in four days got me a bit confused as to who said what, why and when.

Quote to remember for me during those three weeks: PLease go boil your head, now that one I will never forget. This is just too...

Oh, by the way, what Normal Form would you recommend for a name like this:

Hadschi Halef Omar Ben Hadschi Abul Abbas Ibn Hadschi Dawud al Gossarah

Guess the Germans on this forum should know where the name cme from?

The keyhole in the door of the Danube steamship company's captain's cabin. :w00t:

Lynn Pettis (7/8/2009)

Earn them, or deserve them?

Actually I thought you were off to the tournament already, but then again, catching up with 900-odd messages posted during a three week bloody mostly rainy holiday in Europe where it is supposed to be summer, and that in four days got me a bit confused as to who said what, why and when.

Quote to remember for me during those three weeks: PLease go boil your head, now that one I will never forget. This is just too...

Oh, by the way, what Normal Form would you recommend for a name like this:

Hadschi Halef Omar Ben Hadschi Abul Abbas Ibn Hadschi Dawud al Gossarah

Guess the Germans on this forum should know where the name cme from?

The PPI starts Monday but I'm supposed to be working a 3 v 3 tournament this Saturday.

Earn v Deserve, hmmm, I'd say they are equivalent in this case.

• Lynn Pettis (7/8/2009)

Think, I do, that our True Relational Fanatic may have new persona here on SSC.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? 😉

WOW!! IDMS now that takes me back a few years.... far too many :blush:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Lynn Pettis (7/8/2009)

Is it just me or are others having issues when posting replies? I get application failures, but the replies still post. Quite troubling if you ask me. It could result in multiple posts as people think there post didn't get posted.

Only today :crying:

What a diagnostic dump :blink:

I always copy my post, post and then check that it has posted before trying again 😛

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Paul White (7/8/2009)

The keyhole in the door of the Danube steamship company's captain's cabin. :w00t:

10 out of 10 for this translation goes to Paul. Or was it Google?:-)

• Jan Van der Eecken (7/9/2009)

Paul White (7/8/2009)

10 out of 10 for this translation goes to Paul. Or was it Google?:-)

There is a term for lovers of the long word: Sesquipedalian

Is it a hobby or a condition? 😀

Gaby

• Does anyone know why "abbreviated" is such a long word?

🙂

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (7/9/2009)

Does anyone know why "abbreviated" is such a long word?

🙂

For the same reason "long" is such a short word? 🙂

English is a funny language. For example, if lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, doesn't it follow that electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged, models deposed, tree surgeons debarked, and dry cleaners depressed?

Gaby

• For all you lovers of English, here is a sentence without punctuation:

that that is is that that is not is not that that is not is not that that is that that is is not that that is not is not that it it is

It makes perfect grammatical sense with the right punctuation. 😀

Gaby

• dah dah dah dah dah dat's all folks!

• By the way Steve, I'm not getting e-mail notifications of postings. Not sure if others are still experiencing this.

edit: and I got an error when posting this, it didn't refresh the page with my post. However, my post did get posted.

-- Kit

Viewing 15 posts - 6,511 through 6,525 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply