Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Gaby Abed (7/9/2009)

For all you lovers of English, here is a sentence without punctuation:

that that is is that that is not is not that that is not is not that that is that that is is not that that is not is not that it it is

It makes perfect grammatical sense with the right punctuation. 😀

Yep. Even makes sense sense, not just grammatical sense.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Kit G (7/9/2009)

By the way Steve, I'm not getting e-mail notifications of postings. Not sure if others are still experiencing this.

I suspect the lack of emails is one of the lesser of the problems at the moment...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/9/2009)

Kit G (7/9/2009)

By the way Steve, I'm not getting e-mail notifications of postings. Not sure if others are still experiencing this.

I suspect the lack of emails is one of the lesser of the problems at the moment...

No doubt. Just giving some information. When it gets fixed, it gets fixed. Until then, the refresh button on the browser does just fine in checking to see if there are more posts to THE THREAD. Skynet is probably to blame for everything anyway. 😎

-- Kit

• Kit G (7/9/2009)

GilaMonster (7/9/2009)

Kit G (7/9/2009)

No doubt. Just giving some information. When it gets fixed, it gets fixed. Until then, the refresh button on the browser does just fine in checking to see if there are more posts to THE THREAD. Skynet is probably to blame for everything anyway. 😎

Hey, looks like email notifications are working again!

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke L (7/9/2009)

Kit G (7/9/2009)

GilaMonster (7/9/2009)

Kit G (7/9/2009)

Hey, looks like email notifications are working again!

-Luke.

So... was Skynet responsible for the lack of emails? Or did Skynet fix the lack of emails? Do I really want to know? :hehe:

-- Kit

• GSquared (7/9/2009)

Gaby Abed (7/9/2009)

For all you lovers of English, here is a sentence without punctuation:

that that is is that that is not is not that that is not is not that that is that that is is not that that is not is not that it it is

It makes perfect grammatical sense with the right punctuation. 😀

Yep. Even makes sense sense, not just grammatical sense.

Heh heh...here's the answer.

That that is, is. That that is not, is not. That that is not, is not that that is. That that is, is not that that is not. Is not that it? It is.

I'm not sure which English language ancestor to blame for this one (though I strongly suspect Latin).

Gaby

• Emails be a'flowing again. Woohoo - withdrawls are over!!

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Jan Van der Eecken (7/8/2009)

Paul White (7/6/2009)

GSquared (7/6/2009)

Isn't that supposed to be all one word? (Alloneword, even.)

That looks vaguely like German :unsure:

(Flo: consider Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän1)

edit: better still:

Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft2

or

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz3

(Ok so I googled)

1: "Danube steamship company captain."

2: "association of subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services"

3: "beef labeling regulation & delegation of supervision law"

That last one won an award

You missed the

Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaenskajuetenschluesselloch

one.

Will leave it up to you to google that one...

Sorry for late answer, have been busy at work.

Let me add the:

Augeninnendruckmessgeräteprüfungsgesetzverpflichtungsformularvordrucklayouterstellungsassistent

Yeah, we don't need spaces or commas to create sentences. 😛

• Let me add the:

Augeninnendruckmessgeräteprüfungsgesetzverpflichtungsformularvordrucklayouterstellungsassistent

Ummm... to measure the intra-ocular fluid pressure via tonometry from the outside of the eye as a basis for ordering pizza via a wireless network?

Edited: Quoted the wrong word 🙁

• Florian Reischl (7/9/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (7/8/2009)

Paul White (7/6/2009)

GSquared (7/6/2009)

Isn't that supposed to be all one word? (Alloneword, even.)

That looks vaguely like German :unsure:

(Flo: consider Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän1)

edit: better still:

Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft2

or

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz3

(Ok so I googled)

1: "Danube steamship company captain."

2: "association of subordinate officials of the head office management of the Danube steamboat electrical services"

3: "beef labeling regulation & delegation of supervision law"

That last one won an award

You missed the

Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaenskajuetenschluesselloch

one.

Will leave it up to you to google that one...

Sorry for late answer, have been busy at work.

Let me add the:

Yeah, we don't need spaces or commas to create sentences. 😛

Care to provide a translation?

• Lynn Pettis (7/9/2009)

Florian Reischl (7/9/2009)

I feared this question... it's very hard kind of officialese.

@chad-2: Right direction since you ordered the pizza.

I did my best to translate it to English (I'm not sure if this makes any sense):

Intra-ocular fluid pressure measurement regulation template layout assistant

A tool which helps to create layouts for intra-occular fluid pressure measurement forms

(hope this makes more sense :hehe:)

Source:

http://de.woobby.com/result/show/1717-Die-laengsten-und-unnoetigsten-deutschen-Woerter

Edit: Added the source

• [font="Verdana"]The email must flow![/font]

Lynn Pettis (7/9/2009)

I did my best to translate it to English (I'm not sure if this makes any sense):

A tool which helps to create layouts for intra-occular fluid pressure measurement forms

Source:

http://de.woobby.com/result/show/1717-Die-laengsten-und-unnoetigsten-deutschen-Woerter

Hey Flo, that's not German! Or have they introduced the word "layout" into the Duden and I didn't notice? 😛

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (7/9/2009)

Lynn Pettis (7/9/2009)

Source:

Hey Flo, that's not German! Or have they introduced the word "layout" into the Duden and I didn't notice? 😛

http://www.duden-suche.de/suche/abstract.php?shortname=fx&artikel_id=97331

😉

Since more and more English words become common in German business, business German sounds more and more like a cocktail with two parts German and one part English.

"Conference-calls", "meetings", "account manager", "leeds", "reviews", "acknowledgments", "confirms", ...

Since more and more English words become common in German business, business German sounds more and more like a cocktail with two parts German and one part English.

"Conference-calls", "meetings", "account manager", "leeds", "reviews", "acknowledgments", "confirms", ...

[font="Verdana"]I assume "leeds" is related to football, not business? :-D[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 6,526 through 6,540 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply