Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jan Van der Eecken (7/9/2009)

10 out of 10 for this translation goes to Paul. Or was it Google?:-)

Quite clearly Google 😎

Mein Deutsch ist sehr grundlegende. :unsure:

• Alvin Ramard (7/9/2009)

Does anyone know why "abbreviated" is such a long word?

🙂

Unless you abbreviate it?

abbr.

• Florian Reischl (7/9/2009)

Augeninnendruckmessgeräteprüfungsgesetzverpflichtungsformularvordrucklayouterstellungsassistent

*removes hat*

However:

select job_title = replace(N'Temporary part time libraries North West interlibrary loan business unit administration assistant', space(1), '')

[font="Courier New"]job_title

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TemporaryparttimelibrariesNorthWestinterlibraryloanbusinessunitadministrationassistant

[/font]

Easy :-P.

• Paul White (7/9/2009)

Alvin Ramard (7/9/2009)

🙂

abbr.

[font="Verdana"]My personal motto is to never use a large word where a diminutive one will do. :-P[/font]

• Bruce W Cassidy (7/9/2009)

[font="Verdana"]My personal motto is to never use a large word where a diminutive one will do. :-P[/font]

Ah - so you are a fan of anti-verbositization then :w00t:

Jan Van der Eecken (7/9/2009)

Florian Reischl (7/9/2009)

Lynn Pettis (7/9/2009)

Augeninnendruckmessgeräteprüfungsgesetzverpflichtungsformularvordrucklayouterstellungsassistent

Care to provide a translation?

I feared this question... it's very hard kind of officialese.

@chad-2: Right direction since you ordered the pizza.

I did my best to translate it to English (I'm not sure if this makes any sense):

Intra-ocular fluid pressure measurement regulation template layout assistant

A tool which helps to create layouts for intra-occular fluid pressure measurement forms

(hope this makes more sense :hehe:)

Source:

http://de.woobby.com/result/show/1717-Die-laengsten-und-unnoetigsten-deutschen-Woerter

Edit: Added the source

Hey Flo, that's not German! Or have they introduced the word "layout" into the Duden and I didn't notice? 😛

http://www.duden-suche.de/suche/abstract.php?shortname=fx&artikel_id=97331

😉

Since more and more English words become common in German business, business German sounds more and more like a cocktail with two parts German and one part English.

"Conference-calls", "meetings", "account manager", "leeds", "reviews", "acknowledgments", "confirms", ...

Crap. Why do we still bother sending our kids to an expensive German School here in Cape Town when they really don't need to learn German anymore? :w00t:

Flo, while you're logged in to the Duden Website, could you pls check whether it is "das Email" or "die Email"? I think it should be die coz Mail translates to Post which is female. Then again, my friends and relatives keep on "correcting" me. 😀

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Paul White (7/9/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (7/9/2009)

10 out of 10 for this translation goes to Paul. Or was it Google?:-)

Quite clearly Google 😎

Mein Deutsch ist sehr grundlegende. :unsure:

Very well! Just remove the last "e"

Mein deutsch ist sehr grundlegend.

(For the others: My German is very basic)

So you will never work in a German government. They really love verylongwords. They think if it sounds complicated they seem to be intelligent...

Paul White (7/9/2009)

Alvin Ramard (7/9/2009)

🙂

abbr.

Nice word "anti-verbositization". Shame though that http://www.dict.org can't tell me what it means :ermm:

In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Paul White (7/9/2009)

*removes hat*

However:

select job_title = replace(N'Temporary part time libraries North West interlibrary loan business unit administration assistant', space(1), '')

[font="Courier New"]job_title

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TemporaryparttimelibrariesNorthWestinterlibraryloanbusinessunitadministrationassistant

[/font]

Easy :-P.

Someone is bound to start a Leading vs Camel vs All-Lower case discussion coz of this one :w00t:

They really love verylongwords.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Verylongwords should be a word. That's great.

• Paul White (7/9/2009)

[font="Verdana"]If only mere words could express my floccinaucinihilipilification of verbiage...[/font]

Crap. Why do we still bother sending our kids to an expensive German School here in Cape Town when they really don't need to learn German anymore? :w00t:

Why? There they wouldn't learn German, here they learn/speak both 😛

Flo, while you're logged in to the Duden Website, could you pls check whether it is "das Email" or "die Email"? I think it should be die coz Mail translates to Post which is female. Then again, my friends and relatives keep on "correcting" me. 😀

Both ways are possible. In Germany usually we say/write "die" Email (or E-Mail). In Austria, Switzerland or Tyrol they say "das". Source:

http://www.duden-suche.de/suche/abstract.php?shortname=fx&artikel_id=1004461

Nice word "anti-verbositization". Shame though that http://www.dict.org can't tell me what it means :ermm:

That's because I made it up :blush:

It is the process of the removal of expressions which use more words than necessary especially empty or redundant ones.

Also known as anti-prolixity or 'theprocessoftheremovalofexpressionswhichusemorewordsthannecessaryespeciallyemptyorredundantones'

edit for spelling :rolleyes:

Paul White (7/9/2009)

[font="Verdana"]If only mere words could express my floccinaucinihilipilification of verbiage...[/font]

:unsure:

Viewing 15 posts - 6,541 through 6,555 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply