Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Florian Reischl (7/9/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (7/9/2009)

Paul White (7/9/2009)

Ah - so you are a fan of anti-verbositization then :w00t:

[font="Verdana"]If only mere words could express my floccinaucinihilipilification of verbiage...[/font]

:unsure:

floccinaucinihilipilification

Anyone else notice the first three letters of that verylongword?

• Question:

Is COALESCE the only function in T-SQL that can accept a variable number of parameters?

If so, why?

• Paul White (7/9/2009)

Question:

Is COALESCE the only function in T-SQL that can accept a variable number of parameters?

If so, why?

[font="Verdana"]Mu.

Had to edit that because with Wingdings as the font, it was even more puzzling than I intended.

[/font]

• Paul White (7/9/2009)

Florian Reischl (7/9/2009)

Paul White (7/9/2009)

Ah - so you are a fan of anti-verbositization then :w00t:

[font="Verdana"]If only mere words could express my floccinaucinihilipilification of verbiage...[/font]

:unsure:

[answer]

Thanks

[/answer]

[verbositization]

ThankyouPaulfouryourlinkItisalwaysnicetolearnnewthingsaboutEnglishlanguage

[/verbositization]

No, tried to google it and ended at http://www.abbreviations.com/VLW

• Paul White (7/9/2009)

[font="Verdana"]Well, he is German, after all.[/font]

• Bruce W Cassidy (7/9/2009)

Paul White (7/9/2009)

Question:

If so, why?

[font="Verdana"]Mu.

Had to edit that because with Wingdings as the font, it was even more puzzling than I intended.

[/font]

µ

Funny, and I get it - but do you really think the question is faulty?

• There's a post in the Website Issues forum about what one developer found (http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic750454-433-1.aspx).

We moved the db for forums to a new server to alleviate some of the CPU and I/O issues. Some problems occurred as it wasn't as simple as redirecting some things through a linked server.

Notifications should be working, please post more issues in the Website Issues forum.

• Paul White (7/9/2009)

do you really think the question is faulty?

[font="Verdana"]Well, COALESCE is a SQL standard function, not just T-SQL. So perhaps the question is... mis-directed?[/font]

Paul White (7/9/2009)

[font="Verdana"]Well, COALESCE is a SQL standard function, not just T-SQL. So perhaps the question is... mis-directed?[/font]

Ok. :laugh:

So is COALESCE the only standard SQL function that accepts a variable number of parameters?

Just curious.

Paul White (7/9/2009)

No more translation needed. Just figured out.

Good night

• Paul White (7/9/2009)

So is COALESCE the only standard SQL function that accepts a variable number of parameters?

Just curious.

[font="Verdana"]Hmm. Do you include the variable number of columns in the ranking functions? Other than those, I can't think of another off-hand. Perhaps you should drop Joe Celko an e-mail?[/font]

• Florian Reischl (7/9/2009)

No more translation needed. Just figured out.

Good night

[font="Verdana"]Sorry Flo. The implication being that you are German, and hence associated with long words (as in the discussion topic). No other implication intended. I just realised my comment could have been taken entirely the wrong way! :ermm:[/font]

[font="Verdana"]Hmm. Do you include the variable number of columns in the ranking functions? Other than those, I can't think of another off-hand. Perhaps you should drop Joe Celko an e-mail?[/font]

You mean the variable number of columns in the PARTITION and ORDER parts of the OVER clause, right?

If so, then no 🙁

I was really trying to think of a built-in function like COALESCE that could take a variable number of parameters.

What brought it to mind was thinking about the GREATEST and LEAST functions in Oracle. I had thought that T-SQL didn't implement these because the query framework didn't support a variable number of parameters - but of course COALESCE does just that...

It's a quiet Friday lunchtime here, so my mind is wandering.

• Paul White (7/9/2009)

What brought it to mind was thinking about the GREATEST and LEAST functions in Oracle. I had thought that T-SQL didn't implement these because the query framework didn't support a variable number of parameters - but of course COALESCE does just that...

It's a quiet Friday lunchtime here, so my mind is wandering.

[font="Verdana"]I think your mind started wandering before lunch. 😀

You can create functions and stored procedures with variadic parameters. So I'm pretty sure MS could support them. And yes, when you brought it up, I started thinking of GREATEST and LEAST as well.

RAISERROR()? CHECKSUM()? They're both T-SQL though.

[/font]

• Paul White (7/9/2009)

Paul White (7/9/2009)

Ok. :laugh:

Just curious.

Do optional parameters count? I'm thinking of CharIndex, which has an optional 3rd parameter.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 6,556 through 6,570 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply