Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Bruce W Cassidy (7/9/2009)

RAISERROR()? CHECKSUM()? They're both T-SQL though.

CHECKSUM! Awesome!!! Thanks - exactly what I was looking for - I can relax now...

@Wayne: A special mention for CHARINDEX too - thanks!

Florian Reischl (7/9/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (7/9/2009)

[font="Verdana"]Well, he is German, after all.[/font]

No more translation needed. Just figured out.

Good night

[font="Verdana"]Sorry Flo. The implication being that you are German, and hence associated with long words (as in the discussion topic). No other implication intended. I just realised my comment could have been taken entirely the wrong way! :ermm:[/font]

Nothing to apologize. I understood the right way. 🙂

Paul White (7/9/2009)

So is COALESCE the only standard SQL function that accepts a variable number of parameters?

Just curious.

[font="Verdana"]Hmm. Do you include the variable number of columns in the ranking functions? Other than those, I can't think of another off-hand. Perhaps you should drop Joe Celko an e-mail?[/font]

Would "Any" or "All" count? I'm assuming "In" doesn't.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (7/10/2009)

Would "Any" or "All" count? I'm assuming "In" doesn't.

🙁 No, they're not functions. 🙁

Otherwise, I could count SELECT :laugh:

• Sometimes, MVP = Mighty Vacuous Post

Thread Link

So I couldn't resist - sue me! :laugh:

• Paul White (7/10/2009)

Sometimes, MVP = Mighty Vacuous Post

Thread Link

Heh... there are 10 types of MVP's... those that know, and those that don't. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (7/10/2009)

Paul White (7/10/2009)

Sometimes, MVP = Mighty Vacuous Post

Thread Link

Heh... there are 10 types of MVP's... those that know, and those that don't. 😉

hmmm, what about those that know but are not MVPs? I guess the 10 types applies to non-MVPs too.

😉

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• On a totally different subject, Anyone hear from Bob lately? Haven't seen him on SSC for a while.

• Lynn Pettis (7/10/2009)

On a totally different subject, Anyone hear from Bob lately? Haven't seen him on SSC for a while.

Last time I heard from him it was June 17th and he was saying that he had work and personal issues keeping him busy.

I sure hope everything's ok.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I agree, Alvin.

• Gaby Abed (7/9/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (7/9/2009)

Paul White (7/8/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (7/8/2009)

Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaenskajuetenschluesselloch

The keyhole in the door of the Danube steamship company's captain's cabin. :w00t:

10 out of 10 for this translation goes to Paul. Or was it Google?:-)

There is a term for lovers of the long word: Sesquipedalian

Is it a hobby or a condition? 😀

Condition, definitely. Not quite as sure what condition, but I *think* it is the condition of being 75 (and older?).

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Gaby Abed (7/9/2009)

Alvin Ramard (7/9/2009)

Does anyone know why "abbreviated" is such a long word?

🙂

For the same reason "long" is such a short word? 🙂

English is a funny language. For example, if lawyers are disbarred and clergymen defrocked, doesn't it follow that electricians can be delighted, musicians denoted, cowboys deranged, models deposed, tree surgeons debarked, and dry cleaners depressed?

And programmers decoded? And DBA's denormalized? And MVP's devalued? 😀

And restored home-owners dededeeded? :w00t:

🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

Paul White (7/9/2009)

Ah - so you are a fan of anti-verbositization then :w00t:

[font="Verdana"]If only mere words could express my floccinaucinihilipilification of verbiage...[/font]

Yeah, I have the same problem. I have to take these activated-charcoal capsules for it and that still doesn't stop all of it. 😛

[/font]

• RBarryYoung

Condition, definitely. Not quite as sure what condition, but I *think* it is the condition of being 75 (and older?).

Now now, having been born in 1932, I find longer words require an excessive amount of brain cell usage, prodding those tired old cells back into activity is strenuous... so the simpler the better.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 6,571 through 6,585 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply