Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Dave Ballantyne (7/25/2009)

Jack Corbett (7/21/2009)

Dave Ballantyne (7/21/2009)

Hi ho hi ho , if off to Disney i go , see you all in 4 weeks.

Enjoyed my short time here, more rewarding than usenet anyway

Hey, if you are the Disney in Florida, I'm only about 45 minutes away. It's hot and wear sunscreen.

Blimey you're not kidding, i love a holiday though ... Bribing the kids to put lotion on is a particularly enjoyable game 🙂

Yeah, you need to start getting ready about 20 minutes ahead of time. Oh, and 1 bad sunburn fixes that game usually.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (7/25/2009)

For Jeff, PRKCHP

or

BACKUP

or

RSTORE

Heh... I prefer ...

NO RBAR

or

RTFM

or

MILTP41

or

DIEANSI

or my favorite...

TALLYTBL

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Paul White (7/25/2009)

Talking of number plates, a guy who used to work at my place had SQLDBA as his plate.

I quite fancy this one or this one

Anyone got any clever ideas for a plate?

We can have any six (or fewer) numbers or letters...

Holy Tamergatroid Bobalooie! Did you see the prices on those things???

Anyway, it would have looked cool...

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (7/25/2009)

Holy Tamergatroid Bobalooie! Did you see the prices on those things???

Yes they went up recently - it used to be $599.

Still, NZ$799 looks better as US$524 - is that expensive? I honestly don't know.

Jeff Moden (7/25/2009)

Anyway, it would have looked cool...

That's so weird - I looked at NORBAR with you in mind last night.

I really like Alvin's suggestion of LMGTFY 😉

ITDPNDS would be good, but has too many characters for New Zealand plates 🙁

• Paul White (7/26/2009)

Still, $799 looks better as US$524 - is that expensive? I honestly don't know.

It's more than a week's pay for a lot of folks. I know most secretaries and receptionists don't make that much and some nurse's don't either. In any case, it's a lot of money for 3 beer cans worth of Aluminum and a little paint.

Guess I'm gonna have to buy a press and a couple of rolls of flashing. 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (7/26/2009)

Paul White (7/26/2009)

Still, $799 looks better as US$524 - is that expensive? I honestly don't know.

It's more than a week's pay for a lot of folks. I know most secretaries and receptionists don't make that much and some nurse's don't either. In any case, it's a lot of money for 3 beer cans worth of Aluminum and a little paint.

Guess I'm gonna have to buy a press and a couple of rolls of flashing. 😛

Well sure - it is a non-trivial amount in literal terms - I meant is it expensive compared to similar services in other countries?

One thing to bear in mind is that it is a one-off cost - there's no yearly fee.

• Prices here range from R10 000 to R550, depending exactly what you ask for and what province you are in.

ITDPNDS may not be allowed in the US, but it is here. We're allowed up to 7 alpha-numeric characters, followed by the 2 letter province code.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/26/2009)

Prices here range from R10 000 to R550, depending exactly what you ask for and what province you are in.

ITDPNDS may not be allowed in the US, but it is here. We're allowed up to 7 alpha-numeric characters, followed by the 2 letter province code.

Thanks Gail - so that would be a range of 110 - 2000 New Zealand dollars roughly (according to xe.com)

So NZ$799 is pretty much in the middle - seems fair.

• Interestingly enough, here the shorter the reg plate, the more you pay. So if I wanted "I GP" (Gauteng Province), I'd be paying R3800. If I wanted "I WP" (Western Province) I'd be paying R10 000. If I wanted "ITDPNDS GP" I'd be paying R2400 and if I wanted "ITDPNDS WP" I'd be paying around R1500.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I guess that makes sense in terms of the number of combinations available.

BTW congrats to the Springboks - they definitely deserved the win today, though we'll be back next week for sure 🙂

Interestingly enough, here the shorter the reg plate, the more you pay. So if I wanted "I GP" (Gauteng Province), I'd be paying R3800. If I wanted "I WP" (Western Province) I'd be paying R10 000. If I wanted "ITDPNDS GP" I'd be paying R2400 and if I wanted "ITDPNDS WP" I'd be paying around R1500.

That sounds a bit on the pricey side to me.

Here in PA if your car is already registered with the state a vanity plate only costs $20 US. If not or it expires within 3 months, you also need to pay your normal registration fee ~$35-50 annually I believe. The plate is good for 10 years at which point it would need to be replaced.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• GilaMonster (7/25/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (7/25/2009)

GilaMonster (7/24/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (7/24/2009)

On the way home there was a silver Audi A4 2.T driving in front of me whose owner's ego may well be slightly overinflated. Personalised license plate reads SQLGURU-WP :unsure:. Wonder who HE is?

Wonder if it's my colleague. He lives down your way (Hout Bay) and he most certainly could justify said licence plate. I have no idea what he drives though.

Don't suppose you got a look at the driver?

No, I didn't, it was dark already and I was behind him.

I'll ask him next time I see him, if I remember. Will be seeing him next weekend, for TechEd.

You are coming to TechEd Jan?

Unfortunately not. Just not enough money in the kitty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Don't know why you'd have trouble finding rotary dial phones. I just typed "rotary dial phones us" into Google and it offered http://www.rotarydialphones.com/ and http://www.rotarydialtelephones.com/. Both US sites. The first site even guarantees the phone will work in your home.

Derek

Prices here range from R10 000 to R550, depending exactly what you ask for and what province you are in.

While most states only need 6 letters on their license plates, if you're in California or New York state, you can have 7. As far as I know (and I could be dead wrong on this one as I'm not an expert on license plates) those are the only two states that have needed to go to over 6 characters to uniquely identify cars.

In California, vanity plates are a dime a dozen, it's an extra 20 or 30 bucks on your registration. It's a yearly fee, but considering that most people move every 2-5 years, if you move out of state you'll have to re-register your car (I have a small collection of license plates from re-registering my car from all my moves. Most states don't require that you turn in your prior plates) and there's the chance that your vanity plate will already be in use.

The best vanity plate I've heard about is CASH on a Rolls Royce.

-- Kit

• Bruce W Cassidy (7/23/2009)

Lynn Pettis (7/23/2009)

Philip K Dick may have been mental. Any one read Valis? It was a bit strange.

[font="Verdana"]It's beaten out in weirdness by "Stars In My Pocket Like Grains Of Sand" by Samuel R Delaney. But only just.

Philip K Dick shows that you shouldn't combine drugs (speed) with an over-active imagination. Michael Moorcock on the other hand shows that you shouldn't combine drugs (LSD) with an over-active imagination. 🙂

[/font]

No. Frank Herbert's "The Santaroga Barrier" shows the LSD thing. Or peyote. Shouldn't combine either with Sci-Fi or you'll end up dead in the 1980s, I guess. :w00t:

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 15 posts - 6,961 through 6,975 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply