Are the posted questions getting worse?

• "English as a Second Language" ends up as ESL, so I guess "English as a Third Language" would be ETL. Use that accronym for it in this crowd and you'll definitely generate more confusion than even 3LESP got.

"ETL" wouldn't confuse me so much as make me shudder. In my first full-time programming gig years ago, change-control was implemented using "Transmittal Letters" to request and document moving items from development to the production environments. We had "Regular Transmittal Letters" (RTLs) for planned changes, "Modified Transmittal Letters" (MTLs) for fixes to just-implemented RTLs and "Emergency Transmittal Letters" (ETLs) for the ad-hoc fixes. Those pink pieces of paper were counted and charged against our department's record. Even now, decades later, the acronym "ETL" makes me flinch.

• Greg Edwards (7/23/2009)

RBarryYoung (7/23/2009)

. (7/22/2009)

I obviously missed out on SO much by being born too soon.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh C'thulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Well yeah. There really wasn't much to do before the Internet. You could 1) drink to much, 2) play role-playing games, or 3) use dial-up Bulletin Board systems in a pathetic attempt to pre-emulate the Internet. But mostly we just sat around waiting for someone to invent the Internet.

😀

Or dial up, stick the phone in the modem cradle, run the ticker tape through, and start playing golf on the honeywell system.

And see the output on the dot matrix printer.

A phone you had to dial - they disappeared along with paper straws.

Now I feel really old....

Greg E

Not So. My Aunt still has one, she called me last week on it. 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (7/29/2009)

Greg Edwards (7/23/2009)

RBarryYoung (7/23/2009)

. (7/22/2009)

I obviously missed out on SO much by being born too soon.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh C'thulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Well yeah. There really wasn't much to do before the Internet. You could 1) drink to much, 2) play role-playing games, or 3) use dial-up Bulletin Board systems in a pathetic attempt to pre-emulate the Internet. But mostly we just sat around waiting for someone to invent the Internet.

😀

Or dial up, stick the phone in the modem cradle, run the ticker tape through, and start playing golf on the honeywell system.

And see the output on the dot matrix printer.

A phone you had to dial - they disappeared along with paper straws.

Now I feel really old....

Greg E

Not So. My Aunt still has one, she called me last week on it. 🙂

And my parents have one in their kitchen. My girls (19 and 15 years old) get a kick out of using it! Of course, the folks have a couple of cordless phones as well but it just doesn't seem to have the charm of the rotary.....

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Paul White (7/25/2009)

Talking of number plates, a guy who used to work at my place had SQLDBA as his plate.

I quite fancy this one or this one

Anyone got any clever ideas for a plate?

We can have any six (or fewer) numbers or letters...

1+e^iPi

Seven letters (which we can have in NJ, I think). You can shorten it to six if you're allowed superscripts:

eiPi+1

😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Jan Van der Eecken (7/29/2009)

GSquared (7/29/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (7/29/2009)

Lynn Pettis (7/28/2009)

Might be E3L (or ETL, but then that might be cofused as something else), English as 3rd Language; as opposed to ESL, English as Second language.

:ermm: Yes, that's what I meant, English as a third language. Can't even get my acronyms right.

"English as a Second Language" ends up as ESL, so I guess "English as a Third Language" would be ETL. Use that accronym for it in this crowd and you'll definitely generate more confusion than even 3LESP got. 🙂

Dear GSquare, or Gus if I may call you that. Thank you for your advice. I have taken it to my heart. Please forgive me if every now and again I do get it wrong, sometimes deliberately and sometimes not so intentionally. But then again, OP's do so as well, and I'm still very low down on the pecking order - point wise, so please forgive me if I slip up every now and again :unsure:

Of course you may call me Gus. So may anyone. Or "Hey You", or "Dummy", or whatever you like.

I wasn't trying to come across as harsh. Sorry that I seem to have. I was trying to be lighthearted about it, and quite obviously failed.

I don't believe in a pecking order here. Points are just points. I have quite a few, but that doesn't actually prove anything, so it doesn't mean anything. Well, it means I spend more time than is probably healthy on this site, but it doesn't mean anything more than that.

If anything I write seems harsh, read it again and see if there's a possibility that it's meant to be tongue-in-cheek. If so, that's almost certainly the situation. I have a severely obscure sense of humor, and sometimes it doesn't translate into writing the way I want it to.

If I mean to berrate someone, trust me, it'll be very, very obvious that that's what I'm doing. I'm very direct in that kind of thing. And the person has to really, really earn it before I head that direction.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• john.arnott (7/28/2009)

Steve Jones - Editor (7/28/2009)

How about advanced pork chop aiming strategies for maximum developer damage?

Just be careful of starting an internecine battle. There are more of we developers in the world than DBAs. :smooooth:

Yeah, we hate those darn necines!

😀

[/font]

• I just got caught up on the last couple of days of The Thread 🙂

Welcome back and nice going, Roy!

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• A Volunteer Formerly Known as . (7/30/2009)

I just got caught up on the last couple of days of The Thread 🙂

Welcome back and nice going, Roy!

Okay, nice name change A Volunteer Formerly Known as .. 😉

• Thanks, Lynn.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Lynn Pettis (7/30/2009)

Okay, nice name change A Volunteer Formerly Known as .. 😉

[font="Verdana"]Hmm. I think it would be better as The, not A. After all, we don't want to imply that there's more than one! There can be only one.[/font]

• Does this mean your perspective is changing for the better?

Been through a lot these last few days myself, though most likely not what you have been going through.

• Bruce: Do you mean I am THE only volunteer here? :w00t:

Lynn: Things are coming around. I no longer feel the need to derive to a point in public. 😉

• A Volunteer Formerly Known as . (7/30/2009)

Bruce: Do you mean I am THE only volunteer here? :w00t:

[font="Verdana"]Yes, of course that's what I meant! 😛

No, you're not the only volunteer. But you're the only one formerly known as.

[/font]

• Doh!

I am so embarrassed I feel the need to derive to a point again.

However, I have to laugh at the confusion this will engender in people who read this well after the fact.

• If we're going to have constantly shifting names, I'm going to get confused quickly.

Viewing 15 posts - 7,066 through 7,080 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply