Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/30/2009)

If we're going to have constantly shifting names, I'm going to get confused quickly.

I think 'Confused Quickly' must already be taken, you'll have to find another one.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Currently I'm more of a mathematical concept than a name.

Good one, Crawfish!! Thunderous laughter ensues.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

If we're going to have constantly shifting names, I'm going to get confused quickly.

Why do you want to get Confused Quickly? He didn't do anything wrong.

😛

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Nice one, jcrawf02.

I know many of you by your names here. Changing them around will have my head spinning. Especially in this thread!

• Roy Ernest (7/29/2009)

Congratulations to Grant for winning the "Best Thing I Learned at PASS Summit" contest. 😀

What's the link?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

I know many of you by your names here. Changing them around will have my head spinning.

[font="Verdana"]Not a bad way to get rid of condensation. ;-)[/font]

• It probably won't do the world any good at all, but I feel MUCH better now...

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic762623-146-1.aspx

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (7/30/2009)

Roy Ernest (7/29/2009)

Congratulations to Grant for winning the "Best Thing I Learned at PASS Summit" contest. 😀

What's the link?

http://summit2009.sqlpass.org/AboutSummit/ROI/BestThingWinners.aspx

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (7/30/2009)

Jeff Moden (7/30/2009)

Roy Ernest (7/29/2009)

What's the link?

http://summit2009.sqlpass.org/AboutSummit/ROI/BestThingWinners.aspx

Thnx for the link Wayne.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• . (7/30/2009)

Currently I'm more of a mathematical concept than a name.

Whether the point be there

Or whether the point be not.

We'll point the point,

Whatever the point,

We'll point it,

Like it or not!

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Jeff Moden (7/30/2009)

It probably won't do the world any good at all, but I feel MUCH better now...

Nice one Jeff. I feel better too (even though I had nothing to do with the thread).

Another reason not to take people with "Qualifications" at their word, but give them a technical test the same as any other applicant.

• Going off on another direction entirely. What is happening to IT these days... technical support is c**p.

I have an on-going problem with a printer crashing. Call logged with ** technical support (name replaced to protect the company whose printer it is). Latest phone call (to UK support):-

Them: Good Morning ** Technical Support, Raj speaking, may I have your case number please.

Me: The case number is ...

Them: Ah, I see you're having problems with the printer having zzz error.

Me: Yes, that's right

Them. I see this was elevated to the next level within xx

Me: Yes, and they told me to get back to our application supplier, because it wasn't an xx problem.

Them: Ah, yes. How can I help you

Me: I spoke to the application support team, and they tell me that when they approved the printer it had version 1 of the firmware, but the new printers have version 2. I've checked your web site and can only find version 2. How can I get hold of version 1.

Them: We have the latest version on our web site at http://www.....

Me: Yes, I know, but I want the previous version of the firmware.

Them: The version of the firmware you need is on our web site

Me: Where? The only version I can find on your web site is version 2. I want version 1.

Them: Yes, that's right, you can get version 2 on the web site, it's the latest version.

Me (exasperated by now): I don't want version 2, I need version 1.

Them: But version 2 is the latest

Me: I know, but version 2 doesn't work, I need version 1

Them: Can I put you on hold while I speak to my mentor

Them (2 minutes later): Have you upgraded the printer to the latest version of the firmware? That should solve your problem.

Me (very exasperated): That version doesn't work. Can you please just tell me how to get hold of version 1 of the firmware.

Them: OK, I'll elevate the call to the next level. Is there anything else I can help you with today, sir.

Me (resigned): No thankyou

Them: Have a good day, and thank you for choosing xx.

2 days later, I'm still waiting to hear from the next level. Aaaaarrrrrggggghhh.

Am I the only one that seems to have these problems?

• Ian Scarlett (7/31/2009)

Am I the only one that seems to have these problems?

Nope. Go back many pages in this thread and you'll find my tales of woe of dealing with ISP's 'technical' support. At one point they told me to reinstall the modem software to fix an intermittent error. The error? 'Remote computer did not respond. Connection rejected by network'

They were also exceedingly puzzled that IPConfig showed no network configuration (IP address, DNS) at a time that I couldn't connect to the ISP's network....

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Jeff Moden (7/30/2009)

It probably won't do the world any good at all, but I feel MUCH better now...

Is it just me? Or is this just some cultural thing? I mean, is it really just some old-school western culture thing to expect people to be honest?

*sigh* Things like this make me feel very old and out of touch... 🙁

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 7,081 through 7,095 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply