Are the posted questions getting worse?

• RBarryYoung (7/31/2009)

Jeff Moden (7/30/2009)

It probably won't do the world any good at all, but I feel MUCH better now...

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic762623-146-1.aspx

Is it just me? Or is this just some cultural thing? I mean, is it really just some old-school western culture thing to expect people to be honest?

*sigh* Things like this make me feel very old and out of touch... 🙁

Apparently the pork chop I hurled brought out the good in the man. After his response, I don't believe he'll turn out to be like the resident PHD. (heh.. I'm a poet and don't know it).

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• RapMaster Jeff, aka Signifying Tally. 😛

I don't think he

Is gonna be

A Ph.D.

Can he write a que-ry?

Let's wait and see.

P.S. Barry: It's not just you.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Hey I just posted a question about determining what you can consolidate, http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic763323-1550-1.aspx. Gus has already chimed in and interested in what others think/do/have done.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• . (7/30/2009)

I just got caught up on the last couple of days of The Thread 🙂

Welcome back and nice going, Roy!

Thanks.. 🙂 it is going good. People are signing up.. 🙂

-Roy

• Here's one for you http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost763350.aspx, wrong in so many ways I am totally stumped for any response!

• Allister Reid (7/31/2009)

Here's one for you http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost763350.aspx, wrong in so many ways I am totally stumped for any response!

It boggles the mind, eh?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (7/31/2009)

Allister Reid (7/31/2009)

Here's one for you http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost763350.aspx, wrong in so many ways I am totally stumped for any response!

It boggles the mind, eh?

I provided an answer, maybe not the best, but an answer.

The best part is the forum it's in, Older Versions of SQL (v6.5, v6.0, v4.2), and then he says he thought it was on his 2008 server, but it's actually on 2000.

Jack Corbett

• Jack Corbett (7/31/2009)

Alvin Ramard (7/31/2009)

Allister Reid (7/31/2009)

It boggles the mind, eh?

I provided an answer, maybe not the best, but an answer.

I thought someone might try to unpick what he was doing to try to help with the bigger picture... I tried formulating useful questions, but that just kept hurting my brain... keeping it simple (stupid) looks like the best response, kudos Jack, he certainly seems happy!

The best part is the forum it's in, Older Versions of SQL (v6.5, v6.0, v4.2), and then he says he thought it was on his 2008 server, but it's actually on 2000.

Heh, it was an OP that just kept giving

• Well I'm off to TechEd tomorrow and looking at the schedule I have, I doubt I'm going to be able to post here much during the next 4 days. In fact, about the only way I'm going to manage the schedule I'm supposed to have would be to either be in 2 places at the same time or invent time travel.

Can I ask if some of you guys will keep an eye on the corruption forums, just to make sure no stupid advice gets posted unchallenged?

Have fun next week.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Allister Reid (8/1/2009)

I thought someone might try to unpick what he was doing to try to help with the bigger picture...

I did just exactly that. I'm not sure if it's his design or someone else's, but like someone else said, there's just so much wrong with what he's trying to do. :sick:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Enjoy TechEd, Gail! Are you presenting? Didn't see your name on the list, but I only had a brief look at the list of topics and speakers. None of us in the Cape Town branch are going. Gartner Conference down here at the same time, so got a stand there and a few delegates, but some of the JoBurg crowd is going down to Durban. If you bump into some BB&D guys, say hi to them from me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/1/2009)

Enjoy TechEd, Gail! Are you presenting?

Yup!

Doing a session on query hints and plan guides late on Monday and a session on evaluating indexing strategies on Tuesday morning. Plus I have a TechEd Online interview sometime (no idea when)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/1/2009)

Well I'm off to TechEd tomorrow and looking at the schedule I have, I doubt I'm going to be able to post here much during the next 4 days. In fact, about the only way I'm going to manage the schedule I'm supposed to have would be to either be in 2 places at the same time or invent time travel.

Can I ask if some of you guys will keep an eye on the corruption forums, just to make sure no stupid advice gets posted unchallenged?

Have fun next week.

Although I'm not quite as well-versed in dealing with corruption issues as you are I'll make sure I check in there at least once a day for stuff like:

Just run CHECKDB REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS

Delete the log file and re-attach the database

Those even I recognize as bad/stupid advice.

Jack Corbett

• Jeff Moden (8/1/2009)

Allister Reid (8/1/2009)

I thought someone might try to unpick what he was doing to try to help with the bigger picture...

I did just exactly that. I'm not sure if it's his design or someone else's, but like someone else said, there's just so much wrong with what he's trying to do. :sick:

Yeah there was/is a lot that could be fixed there, but I just decided to "throw him a bone" with the caveat that it isn't the BEST solution. Sometimes I just don't want to get into it. If he'd have asked what would work better I'd have stayed in there longer.

Jack Corbett

• GilaMonster (8/1/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (8/1/2009)

Enjoy TechEd, Gail! Are you presenting?

Yup!

Doing a session on query hints and plan guides late on Monday and a session on evaluating indexing strategies on Tuesday morning. Plus I have a TechEd Online interview sometime (no idea when)

Good Luck, and I'll get some of our guys to attend and ask them to give feedback at our next bi-weekly meeting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 7,096 through 7,110 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply