Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jack Corbett (8/1/2009)

Jeff Moden (8/1/2009)

Allister Reid (8/1/2009)

I thought someone might try to unpick what he was doing to try to help with the bigger picture...

I did just exactly that. I'm not sure if it's his design or someone else's, but like someone else said, there's just so much wrong with what he's trying to do. :sick:

Yeah there was/is a lot that could be fixed there, but I just decided to "throw him a bone" with the caveat that it isn't the BEST solution. Sometimes I just don't want to get into it. If he'd have asked what would work better I'd have stayed in there longer.

Well, no-one really told the OP something was fundamentally wrong. And in fact, I don't know either? What's wrong with generating user names like JohnDoe1/2/3/4/5 as a "natural cause of death" key 🙂 Seriously, any suggestions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (8/1/2009)

Jack Corbett (8/1/2009)

Jeff Moden (8/1/2009)

Allister Reid (8/1/2009)

I thought someone might try to unpick what he was doing to try to help with the bigger picture...

I did just exactly that. I'm not sure if it's his design or someone else's, but like someone else said, there's just so much wrong with what he's trying to do. :sick:

Yeah there was/is a lot that could be fixed there, but I just decided to "throw him a bone" with the caveat that it isn't the BEST solution. Sometimes I just don't want to get into it. If he'd have asked what would work better I'd have stayed in there longer.

Well, no-one really told the OP something was fundamentally wrong. And in fact, I don't know either? What's wrong with generating user names like JohnDoe1/2/3/4/5 as a "natural cause of death" key 🙂 Seriously, any suggestions?

That was my guess, that he was generating usernames, but then he refers to it as an ID, kinda making me think that he's generating a PK, and then to be just inserting the generated key into a table, with no associated data, he's obviously not telling the whole story. I tried to think of sensible questions to ask, that could highlight some of the problems, but reckoned I'd be outta my depth pretty quick (on how to tackle the pretty obvious design problems)... so posted here... that and also I had to share my mounting incredulity.

• Was that thread closed to protect the innocent and unwary? I couldn't peek at it.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Nope, just posted my own q's to the OP. Wouldn't have expected SSC would hold a lock on a database row in the forum database while someone is formulating a response :w00t:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Man! I've had about all I can take of this guy.

Grrrr... :angry:

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (8/1/2009)

Man! I've had about all I can take of this guy.

Just walk away.

Walk away.

Stop! Don't turn back. Just keep walking away.

😎

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Jack Corbett (8/1/2009)

Although I'm not quite as well-versed in dealing with corruption issues as you are I'll make sure I check in there at least once a day for stuff like:

Just run CHECKDB REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS

Delete the log file and re-attach the database

Those even I recognize as bad/stupid advice.

Thanks.

If something urgent comes up that's out of your depth, you can mail/PM/tweet Paul Randal. He should be back from vacation.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Oh Jeff, ... You might want to take this one ... 😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Alvin Ramard (8/1/2009)

RBarryYoung (8/1/2009)

Man! I've had about all I can take of this guy.

Just walk away.

Walk away.

Stop! Don't turn back. Just keep walking away.

😎

You are so right, Alvin. But it was 4AM and he was in my face, and I really thought that I could help .... Grrr ...

[/font]

• For all the trials and tribulations there is occassionally a few that express appreciation for what help has been given, for example:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic763622-149-1.aspx.

Not to forget those who feed back knowledge to all who visit SSC

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic763265-392-1.aspx

Renews ones faith in humanity.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• bitbucket (8/2/2009)

For all the trials and tribulations there is occassionally a few that express appreciation for what help has been given, for example:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic763622-149-1.aspx.

Not to forget those who feed back knowledge to all who visit SSC

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic763265-392-1.aspx

Renews ones faith in humanity.

Yep. Good point, bit. (I can call you "bit", right? :-))

[/font]

• RBarryYoung

(I can call you "bit", right? )

Heck YES

I am honored ....

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• RBarryYoung (8/2/2009)

Oh Jeff, ... You might want to take this one ... 😀

For some reason, that thread hasn't been notifying me of new posts via email. I've responded to that particular post and many of the others. You may find some of my answers to be a bit different than what you might have expected. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• RBarryYoung (8/2/2009)

Oh Jeff, ... You might want to take this one ... 😀

By the way, Barry... thank you for the very high compliment about SSC and the Tally table. Coming from someone like you, all I can say is "Thank You" and "I'm humbled".

Shifting gears, I've found the perfect stored proc to convert from RBAR to Set Based for the 3rd part of your wonderful series of articles on "There must be 15 ways to lose your cursors". I just tried to use the damned thing at work and it was taking FOREVER (I had 3.3 million rows in the history table of an unmaintained legacy system and it turns out that EVERY replication run becomes a part of the backup history).

MSDB.dbo.sp_delete_backuphistory

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• GilaMonster (8/2/2009)

Jack Corbett (8/1/2009)

Although I'm not quite as well-versed in dealing with corruption issues as you are I'll make sure I check in there at least once a day for stuff like:

Just run CHECKDB REPAIR_ALLOW_DATA_LOSS

Delete the log file and re-attach the database

Those even I recognize as bad/stupid advice.

Thanks.

If something urgent comes up that's out of your depth, you can mail/PM/tweet Paul Randal. He should be back from vacation.

Yeah, for any heavy lifting lifting I'll definitely tweet Paul.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 15 posts - 7,111 through 7,125 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply