Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Thought I'd bring this to the water cooler. We talked to Kassondra again today, and she leaves reception tomorrow to actually start Basic Training. She sounded much better today. She was able to talk to a couple of her firend who just finished basic recently (differnet branches of the military) and they really hepled her work through her feelings. This really makes us feel better as well.

I would ask that those of you who would, please keep her in your thoughts or prayers. She still has a lot more to get through, and I know she is strong, but to know that others are there, thinking of her actually helps me as well to stay strong and encouraging for her.

Thanks

• Lynn Pettis (8/2/2009)

Thought I'd bring this to the water cooler. We talked to Kassondra again today, and she leaves reception tomorrow to actually start Basic Training. She sounded much better today. She was able to talk to a couple of her firend who just finished basic recently (differnet branches of the military) and they really hepled her work through her feelings. This really makes us feel better as well.

I would ask that those of you who would, please keep her in your thoughts or prayers. She still has a lot more to get through, and I know she is strong, but to know that others are there, thinking of her actually helps me as well to stay strong and encouraging for her.

Thanks

Will do Lynn.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Lynn Pettis (8/2/2009)

Thought I'd bring this to the water cooler. We talked to Kassondra again today, and she leaves reception tomorrow to actually start Basic Training. She sounded much better today. She was able to talk to a couple of her firend who just finished basic recently (differnet branches of the military) and they really hepled her work through her feelings. This really makes us feel better as well.

Thanks

Is she shooting for a specialty? If so, what is it?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (8/2/2009)

Lynn Pettis (8/2/2009)

Thanks

Is she shooting for a specialty? If so, what is it?

She enlisted as a 30 November, Signals Intellangence Analyst (iirc). Before she left fot Basic last week she was kicking herself for not enlisting with the Airborne option. Her goal when she left was to due well enough in Basic to go to Airborne School as well and earn the Red Beret. Let's add on top of that of working to go Green To Gold during her fist enlistment (5 years) so she could become an officer with the desire to retire as a Colonel, so she could go up to her uncle (a USAFA gaduate) and say "look what I did, LC. And I did it from the ground up."

She went in as an E-3 to start by meeting specific requirements (don't ask, I don't remember). When se graduates from AIT with that training plus the college classes she took in high school, she'll have her AS degree.

I know she will do well, she just needs to learn what she is truely capable of doing. I know I grew up a lot in the four years I served, and she will too.

• Jeff Moden (8/2/2009)

msdb.dbo.sp_delete_backuphistory

That procedure has been a nightmare for as long as I can remember. Although one can often extract reasonable performance (relative to the shipped version) with a few well placed indexes, I do wonder whether Microsoft will ever get around to fixing it. It's the same outrageously amateur code even in 2008. I can only assume the task of writing this procedure was given to a PhD candidate...?

:laugh:

Paul

• RBarryYoung (8/1/2009)

Man! I've had about all I can take of this guy.

Grrrr... :angry:

Hmmm. Not sure how I missed that very interesting thread - though it's a bit late now 🙁

Odd thing to try to do in T-SQL however; even an unsophisticated implementation in a .NET TVF would be much quicker. I did see that you posted a VB example... and there are plenty of others out there on Google.

It turns out T-SQL isn't very good at making sandwiches either: who knew? 😀

Having read most of the posts from the first page, I agree with your main assessment.

Paul

• Lynn Pettis (8/2/2009)

Thanks

Absolutely Lynn. All positive energy is directed at her. Boot camp is hard, but she needs to know it gets much, much better afterwards.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I "answered" this post, but I didn't provide a solution to the guy. If someone else would like to take a swing at providing a possible solution for him, he might appreciate it. Personally, I think he's going down a highly dangerous path and I don't want to aid & abet, but others may disagree. If so, help the guy out please.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Lynn Pettis (8/2/2009)

Thanks

Lynn, thoughts and well wishes go her way, however... As you and every other Vet out there knows, the first few days/weeks of Boot Camp are really all about tearing the recruit down so they can be built back up into what the military needs. It's all just a big mind game. I know as a parent it sucks, but if shes as strong as you say she is she'll do fine. I suppose that is one of the reasons why (at least when I enlisted 15 or so years ago) the USMC didn't allow any communication to or from the recruit except via snail mail (unless of course there was some sort of family emergency, someone had a brother die in my platoon about half way through.)

Without the interference from the outside world, you bond more quickly with those around you instead of relying on mom, dad, friends etc.

Here's a link to an article about the process that I remember having to read for a Soc or English class once upon a time... Anyboday's Son will do. Perhaps it will be of some comfort or at least a reminder of what you went through.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Because I know that a bunch of you will qualify:

http://scarydba.wordpress.com/2009/08/03/sql-server-standard/[/url]

Please consider taking part.

• Lynn,

Best wishes, and I hope it goes well. I'm sure she will appreciate the hardships later.

• I mentioned this once before on the thread

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic604325-61-712.aspx

The OP did receive a little help from SSC, and then went back to searching further on his own and solved his problem. I then requested chuck.evans (OP) to share his solution so others could learn. (See http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic763265-392-1.aspx#bm763972. )

So from asking a question, to providing a solution this individual was most co-operative.

This post is to cheer up those of you who provide solutions and who have been beaten/vilified/ignored/contradicted etc., etc. There are those out there who truly embrace the feeling of community and the work you do on SSC.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Luke L (8/3/2009)

Lynn Pettis (8/2/2009)

Thanks

Lynn, thoughts and well wishes go her way, however... As you and every other Vet out there knows, the first few days/weeks of Boot Camp are really all about tearing the recruit down so they can be built back up into what the military needs. It's all just a big mind game. I know as a parent it sucks, but if shes as strong as you say she is she'll do fine. I suppose that is one of the reasons why (at least when I enlisted 15 or so years ago) the USMC didn't allow any communication to or from the recruit except via snail mail (unless of course there was some sort of family emergency, someone had a brother die in my platoon about half way through.)

Without the interference from the outside world, you bond more quickly with those around you instead of relying on mom, dad, friends etc.

Here's a link to an article about the process that I remember having to read for a Soc or English class once upon a time... Anyboday's Son will do. Perhaps it will be of some comfort or at least a reminder of what you went through.

-Luke.

Yes, I know. She actually heads off to Basic today. She has been in reception since Tuesday last week. For me reception is a new concept as they didn't have a separate phase where you took care of paperwork, additional medical exams, issuing of uniforms, etc. That was all done as a part of basic. The problem she has had is the constant doing of nothing during this time. As I indicated, she was able to talk to a couple of friends who had just gone through basic for the Navy and USMC and were able to walk her through her emotions as they had the same feelings during reception. Both also told her once she actually gets into basic things will change. She will be busy learning many new things, not just standing around in formation doing nothing.

We will probably hear from her again tonight, but after that we won;t hear from her again for at least three weeks.

• Best wishes to Kassondra (and every other recruit heading for Basic training). I certainly hope she does well and finds her niche (and is able to retire a Colonel. 🙂 ) My hat's off to those who join as well as my gratitude. Sounds like she's got a few interesting years ahead of her.

-- Kit

Viewing 15 posts - 7,126 through 7,140 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply