Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (8/5/2009)

He's mine, please... all mine... pork chops in progress. I don't want to start a dog pile on him, but he's mine.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic765935-8-1.aspx

You have noticed that the OP there is not our PhD candidate? Same username but different post counts, different no of visits, different sig.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Pretty fair comments by Jeff I thought. I wonder if it is the same guy? He certainly seems spookily similar in posting style...?

My favourite part of his posted script is the CONVERT of a DATETIME using style code 120, placing the result in a VARCHAR(13). Nothing wrong with that really - but why VARCHAR? Will the first 13 characters vary in length so much?

Probably just me, but it bugs me whenever I see it!

Paul

• Paul White (8/6/2009)

I wonder if it is the same guy? He certainly seems spookily similar in posting style...?

Don't think it is. The PhD candidate has complained in the past about someone posting with the same username, so if they are both the same person.......

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Jeff Moden (8/5/2009)

He's mine, please... all mine... pork chops in progress. I don't want to start a dog pile on him, but he's mine.

I recognize that mood. Have fun!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Bob Hovious (8/5/2009)

But I dare you to find anyone who finds me the least bit intimidating, except from across a chessboard, or in a game of Trivial Pursuit. [Smile]

(2) What weapon or weapons were used to kill Dracula in the novel by Bram Stoker?

We can take this offline if you want to start a separate thread 😉

The pen, or pen and ink. And blotter, possibly.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• GilaMonster (8/6/2009)

Jeff Moden (8/5/2009)

You have noticed that the OP there is not our PhD candidate? Same username but different post counts, different no of visits, different sig.

Now that you mention it, he doesn't have the normal brag list of credentials in his signature. I may have the wrong boy. I've posted a question to him to find out.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• GilaMonster (8/6/2009)

Paul White (8/6/2009)

I wonder if it is the same guy? He certainly seems spookily similar in posting style...?

Don't think it is. The PhD candidate has complained in the past about someone posting with the same username, so if they are both the same person.......

Heh... another reason for me to hate case sensitive servers. I may have a bit of egg on my face on this one. :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Grant Fritchey (8/6/2009)

Jeff Moden (8/5/2009)

Hence the term "Scary DBA", eh Grant? 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• jcrawf02 (8/6/2009)

Bob Hovious (8/5/2009)

But I dare you to find anyone who finds me the least bit intimidating, except from across a chessboard, or in a game of Trivial Pursuit. [Smile]

(2) What weapon or weapons were used to kill Dracula in the novel by Bram Stoker?

The pen, or pen and ink. And blotter, possibly.

Hmmmm... does that work on users and developers that should know better? 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (8/6/2009)

Grant Fritchey (8/6/2009)

Jeff Moden (8/5/2009)

You betcha, brother.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Jeff Moden (8/6/2009)

I may have the wrong boy. I've posted a question to him to find out.

I suspect you do have the wrong guy.

karthikeyan: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/UserInfo151404.aspx (today's poster)

karthikeyan: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/UserInfo449952.aspx (PhD candidate)

Not a case-sensitive problem. Usernames are identical. How on earth that happened, I don't know...

Gail Shaw

• Bob Hovious (8/5/2009)

(1) P-K4

If you actually want to play chess, we should definitely take it to a different forum, or play online.

If I remember correctly, pistols, knives and sunlight. (Saberhagen points out the idiocy of that in The Dracula Tape.) If I'm not mistaken, it was in a wagon on the road to his castle, while he was being transported by his gypsie servants. (I'm beginning to sound like a game of Clue. "Mrs White in the cupboard with Col Mustard and the candlestick." Oh wait... that's the motive, not the murder.)

Now I'm going to have to look that up and see how close I got. I have a copy of the book at home.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Jeff Moden (8/6/2009)

Grant Fritchey (8/6/2009)

Jeff Moden (8/5/2009)

You betcha, brother.

I've not confirmed my plane reservations but I'm 99.99% sure that I'm going to be in Lil' Rhody from 9/6 to 9/12. That means that I'll be able to attend your PASS chapter meeting that week. It's on the 9th, isn't it?

After that, maybe we can go scare some developers just for fun, eh? 😉

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (8/6/2009)

I've not confirmed my plane reservations but I'm 99.99% sure that I'm going to be in Lil' Rhody from 9/6 to 9/12. That means that I'll be able to attend your PASS chapter meeting that week. It's on the 9th, isn't it?

Excellent. I'll bring the swords.

Jeff Moden (8/6/2009)

Excellent. I'll bring the swords.

Take photos.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 7,201 through 7,215 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply