Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (8/6/2009)

Grant Fritchey (8/6/2009)

Jeff Moden (8/6/2009)

I've not confirmed my plane reservations but I'm 99.99% sure that I'm going to be in Lil' Rhody from 9/6 to 9/12. That means that I'll be able to attend your PASS chapter meeting that week. It's on the 9th, isn't it?

After that, maybe we can go scare some developers just for fun, eh? 😉

Excellent. I'll bring the swords.

Take photos.

What? Evidence for the trial. No way!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (8/6/2009)

GilaMonster (8/6/2009)

Jeff Moden (8/6/2009)

I've not confirmed my plane reservations but I'm 99.99% sure that I'm going to be in Lil' Rhody from 9/6 to 9/12. That means that I'll be able to attend your PASS chapter meeting that week. It's on the 9th, isn't it?

Take photos.

None of you have ever seen my face or heard my voice... trust me... WE DON' NEED NO STINKEN' SWORDS!! 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (8/6/2009)

GilaMonster (8/6/2009)

Jeff Moden (8/6/2009)

Take photos.

None of you have ever seen my face or heard my voice... trust me... WE DON' NEED NO STINKEN' SWORDS!! 😛

I'm having visions of a face that can crack mirrors and a voice that can shatter glass. Sort of the princess in Shrek, at nighttime. (Well, she blew up a bird, not a mirror, but the image still works.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• That's how I picture Jeff too, a princess in a forest.

[hides]

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (8/6/2009)

That's how I picture Jeff too, a princess in a forest.

[hides]

I'm just hoping to make him shoot soda out of his nose when he reads my post.... 😛

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• jcrawf02 (8/6/2009)

[hides]

Heh... yeah... substitute toothfairy in a pink tutu. 😛

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• GSquared (8/6/2009)

jcrawf02 (8/6/2009)

[hides]

I'm just hoping to make him shoot soda out of his nose when he reads my post.... 😛

It worked... it was Vernors, too! What'a rush!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I will sneak a picture of Jeff at some point and post it up here. Don't worry, we'll track him down at some point.

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/6/2009)

I will sneak a picture of Jeff at some point and post it up here. Don't worry, we'll track him down at some point.

Heh... no fair. At least I'm using my real name. I'd love it if someone would snap a pick of Phil Factor and post it.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• GilaMonster (8/6/2009)

Jeff Moden (8/6/2009)

I may have the wrong boy. I've posted a question to him to find out.

I suspect you do have the wrong guy.

karthikeyan: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/UserInfo151404.aspx (today's poster)

karthikeyan: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/UserInfo449952.aspx (PhD candidate)

Not a case-sensitive problem. Usernames are identical. How on earth that happened, I don't know...

yeah, I think the "PhD" reported that couple of months ago :crazy:

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• GilaMonster (8/6/2009)

Not a case-sensitive problem. Usernames are identical. How on earth that happened, I don't know...

Not username but nickname. Nicknames can be anything including the same as someone else.

Profile states Username but is showing nickname :crazy:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Anyone seen today's article? The article's fine but some of the comments are scary....

Example:

A maintenance plan should be set up to truncate, shrink, and backup the transaction log -- nightly, if necessary.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ok... I need a pry bar or at least a sturdy sword to get the tennis shoe out of my mouth. It was a different guy and not the PHD. Thanks for the heads up on that. I had no idea that two people could have the identical handle on SSC. :blush:

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• If you actually want to play chess, we should definitely take it to a different forum, or play online.

If you don't have a place for this already, might I recommend: Chess Variants? 100s of different types of chess (My favorites: Cassia Britannia, Ultima, Storm the Ivory Castle, Kamikaze Mortal Shogi), most of which I'd never seen before and found quite enjoyable. Also: ItsYourTurn[/url] (Among others, Dark Chess - you can only see the squares on the board you can directly attack). A cleaner interface, but not as wide a variety. If you already have a spot, I'd like to hear about it if you're willing to share.

Chad

• Chad Crawford (8/7/2009)

If you actually want to play chess, we should definitely take it to a different forum, or play online.

If you don't have a place for this already, might I recommend: Chess Variants? 100s of different types of chess (My favorites: Cassia Britannia, Ultima, Storm the Ivory Castle, Kamikaze Mortal Shogi), most of which I'd never seen before and found quite enjoyable. Also: ItsYourTurn[/url] (Among others, Dark Chess - you can only see the squares on the board you can directly attack). A cleaner interface, but not as wide a variety. If you already have a spot, I'd like to hear about it if you're willing to share.

Chad

I actually haven't played chess seriously in about 20 years. I don't like playing against computers (find it boring to not have a real opponent), and most people I know don't want to play against me. Might have something to do with the fact that I won a few tournaments when I was a teen.

I get my chess-like enjoyment out of RTS games these days.

So I'll have to try those out. Might have a chance next weekend. (I'm busy with volunteer stuff this weekend, so won't have time.)

Property of The Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 7,216 through 7,230 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply