Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GabyYYZ (8/11/2009)

Any of our South African members hearing some buzz about it or has it already shown in SA? Obviously there are (loose) parallels with South Africa's history, but it also reminds me of a previous series, Alien Nation in some ways.

No I haven't, but I know District Six in Cape Town or whatever is NOT left of it. Then again the last "real" movie I saw was Harry Potter the Fourth and I managed to fall asleep during that one. Got Satellite TV and it attracts me as much as a movie theater does. Unless of course the Springboks are playing the All Blacks or the Wallabies. Sorry guys down under, but you'll have to do better to beat the men in gold and green! Now I had to sneak that one in, didn't I? Nasty me 😎

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• GabyYYZ (8/11/2009)

Anyone here planning to watch District 9 (this week I think)? It looks like a totally interesting sci-fi.

Any of our South African members hearing some buzz about it or has it already shown in SA? Obviously there are (loose) parallels with South Africa's history, but it also reminds me of a previous series, Alien Nation in some ways.

I think I'll catch that one. Caught GI: Joe last weekend. Miserable plot, miserable science but good action and special effects, makes for a fun movie, as long as you can ignore the miserable plot and even more miserable science. The suits the Joes use -should- have been in Starship Troopers. sigh.

District 9 at first glance seems like Alien Nation and V in a blender. Hopefully the result is good. 🙂 If nothing else, the specials should be good (which is the main reason I saw GI: Joe).

-- Kit

• The suits the Joes use -should- have been in Starship Troopers. sigh.

Amen. The Starship Troopers movies should never have been made. Maybe one day there will be a remake that gets it right. I'm also grinding my teeth over the upcoming "Solomon Kane". Judging from the trailer paragraphs I've seen so far, the writers have totally missed the point of a great character.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Kit G (8/11/2009)

GabyYYZ (8/11/2009)

Anyone here planning to watch District 9 (this week I think)? It looks like a totally interesting sci-fi.

I think I'll catch that one. Caught GI: Joe last weekend. Miserable plot, miserable science but good action and special effects, makes for a fun movie, as long as you can ignore the miserable plot and even more miserable science. The suits the Joes use -should- have been in Starship Troopers. sigh.

District 9 at first glance seems like Alien Nation and V in a blender. Hopefully the result is good. 🙂 If nothing else, the specials should be good (which is the main reason I saw GI: Joe).

FYI Kit, they're remaking V for release in the fall. Everyone collectively shudder at the attempted remake of a classic.

Gaby

• Bob Hovious (8/11/2009)

Maybe one day there will be a remake that gets it right.

Well, the remake might get the specials correct (the bugs, suits and other stuff). But the rest of the book will probably get badly mangled, the politics parts of the story that support the politics. After all, it is Hollyweird that will be making the film.

But it is one of my favorite Heinlein books. Along with Have Spacesuit, Will Travel and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Need to see if it is available for the Kindle...

-- Kit

• Today will be a day long remembered - the day the Crawfords band together on the Dark Side. At last we will reveal ourselves to The Thread. 😛

Tutum Te Robore Reddam! 😉

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Kit G (8/11/2009)

Bob Hovious (8/11/2009)

Well, the remake might get the specials correct (the bugs, suits and other stuff). But the rest of the book will probably get badly mangled, the politics parts of the story that support the politics. After all, it is Hollyweird that will be making the film.

But it is one of my favorite Heinlein books. Along with Have Spacesuit, Will Travel and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Need to see if it is available for the Kindle...

Yeah, I knew from the moment I heard they were making a movie they'd never pull off the real storyline, but was amazed that they threw out the suits, there's like no contest against the bugs that way.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• FYI Kit, they're remaking V for release in the fall. Everyone collectively shudder at the attempted remake of a classic.

Yeah, I know. I'll probably see it too, which is even more scary. I actually liked mini-series when it was on TV and the first season. Of course, it quickly went downhill. I mean, sure, the plot and other factors were completely ridiculous. If you need ice, grab a comet, no nasty gravity wells to design your ship to contend with and you can get all sorts of other fun minerals and compounds from the impurities in the comet. If you're having to go to other planets to get your water, I certainly hope you can design a ship that can mine a comet for it cause that will be closer than going to another solar system! Oh, and that's totally ignoring that water is a byproduct of many chemical reactions.

The aliens in V went to a lot of effort to blend in so they could get what they wanted, more effort than it was worth. Personally, I think someone read "How to Serve Man" while smoking... something... and came up with V.

But it was still fun and engaged my imagination at a very young age (sigh... when they are remaking a TV mini-series I remember seeing as a teenager... makes me feel old).

edited to put in quote to help in understanding cause other people posted between Gaby and this post.

:Whistling:

-- Kit

• OK, so I guess now I can be Barf.

I'm a mog: half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend!

It's nice to have a best friend.:-D

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Kit G (8/11/2009)

But it is one of my favorite Heinlein books.

I like Starman Jones. I read it over and over again.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Kit G (8/11/2009)

Bob Hovious (8/11/2009)

I'm pretty sure they are. There was a new printing of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress just recently. I'm rereading Farnums Freehold on my Kindle right now.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Let's not forget The Rolling Stones, and Farmer In the Sky.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• I'm not a big fan of Heinlein, but I read Lazarus Long and I liked it very much.

Edited: The original title is Time Enough For Love, which was published in Italy under the title Lazarus Long, l'immortale.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Grant Fritchey (8/12/2009)

I'm pretty sure they are. There was a new printing of The Moon is a Harsh Mistress just recently. I'm rereading Farnums Freehold on my Kindle right now.

Where did you get Farnam's Freehold for the Kindle? I didn't see it in the Amazon store (I haven't looked beyond that to find it) and I also didn't see The Moon is a Harsh Mistress in the Kindle Store. Although I will admit Amazon's search engine sometimes leaves something to be desired.

edit to fix italics

-- Kit

• Kit G (8/12/2009)

Grant Fritchey (8/12/2009)

Where did you get Farnam's Freehold for the Kindle? I didn't see it in the Amazon store (I haven't looked beyond that to find it) and I also didn't see The Moon is a Harsh Mistress in the Kindle Store. Although I will admit Amazon's search engine sometimes leaves something to be desired.

I didn't look for Moon is a Harsh Mistress, I'd just read it on paper. I got Farnum's Freehold from the Baen[/url] website (paid, not free, but cheaper than most of the Amazon books I've seen so far). As far as I know, anything available on Baen is not available on Amazon in a Kindle version. That's OK though because the Baen prices are less than Kindle and it works just as well.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 7,306 through 7,320 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply