Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jan Van der Eecken (10/2/2009)

Was just asking because they guy who "advertised" his free tool, just to get some feedback a few weeks ago (forgot his name and exactly what it was) got bitterly flamed for doing so.

That was me. And I wasn't advertising - I really honestly just wanted some feedback from some people I respect.

Atlantis Interactive - SQL Server Tools
    My blog[/url]
    Why I wrote a sql query analyzer clone

Is this fair use of the forums by the way?

I don't have a problem with it. The OP isn't directly trying to sell the book, although they are indirectly, but where's there a better place to reach SQL Geeks when you have an event you'll be at?

BTW - great quote in your signature.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Roy Ernest (10/2/2009)

The water cooler has been too quiet for my liking. I am getting withdrawal symptoms. What is happening? Where is everyone? 🙁

Working stupid hours on a major project. Should be promoted middle of next week (the code that is, not me) so I'll have some free time again...

• Lynn, I think our dynamic SQL OP is lost.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Paul White (10/3/2009)

Roy Ernest (10/2/2009)

The water cooler has been too quiet for my liking. I am getting withdrawal symptoms. What is happening? Where is everyone? 🙁

Working stupid hours on a major project. Should be promoted middle of next week (the code that is, not me) so I'll have some free time again...

Ah yes, I'll never forget my first time. That poignant, bittersweet moment when your code first gets promoted ahead of you ... 😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Jack Corbett (10/2/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (10/2/2009)

I don't have a problem with it. The OP isn't directly trying to sell the book, although they are indirectly, but where's there a better place to reach SQL Geeks when you have an event you'll be at?

BTW - great quote in your signature.

I actually reported both of her posts as SPAM... the only posts she's made have been to promote herself and her bloody book signing. When I suggested that she participate more, she basically said that she was too busy and spent most of her time on another forum. So far as I'm concerned, she's a non-participant and a bit arrogant. I wouldn't go to her book signing if I knew I was going to get one for free.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• bitbucket-25253 (10/2/2009)

Jan Van der Eecken (10/2/2009)

Well we might soon know. Sent an email to the web master for SSC, (since Steve is on vacation unitil I think Oct 5th) lets see what he/she thinks about it. To me it was a blantant advertisement for the gullible who might think it is being recommended by SSC

Ron, you've made my day! I thought I was the only cranky ol' fart that took exception to the way she did things. 😛

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff

Ron, you've made my day! I thought I was the only cranky ol' fart

Jeff your a young wipper snapper ... heck I have a son older than you!

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• RBarryYoung (10/3/2009)

Ah yes, I'll never forget my first time. That poignant, bittersweet moment when your code first gets promoted ahead of you ... 😀

That made me smile on a wet Monday morning!

• Paul White (10/4/2009)

RBarryYoung (10/3/2009)

That made me smile on a wet Monday morning!

Heh, glad I could help. 🙂

(Funny, I just saw a documentaty about the Manapouri Power Station, apparent parts of Oz are always wet.)

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Alvin Ramard (10/3/2009)

Lynn, I think our dynamic SQL OP is lost.

Not sure about the lost part, but I'm definately confused as to what he is trying to accomplish. I mean, why would you want to nest dynamic queries?

• bitbucket-25253 (10/3/2009)

Jeff

Ron, you've made my day! I thought I was the only cranky ol' fart

Jeff your a young wipper snapper ... heck I have a son older than you!

Heh... sorry... I'm just a cranky ol' fart and you're a wicked old cranky ol' fart. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Steve's reply to another copy of the post is here: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic780179-61-1.aspx

I don't have a problem with it. Steve doesn't appear to have a problem with it. I think it's at least as fair a use of the forums as The Thread is.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Atlast I see some action in the cooler. people venting..:-) I was afraid that with out the venting everyone would just blow up soon

:hehe:

-Roy

• I miss anything? Just cranky old guys and gals complaining?

The post is a little self promotion, but I'm more willing to tolerate authors promoting themselves than companies. Might be a little hypocritical, but that's how I feel.

In case you wonder where I've been, this has been my project for the last 3 days: http://twitpic.com/kbfy1

Viewing 15 posts - 8,326 through 8,340 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply