Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Can someone clarify why you should do this?

-Roy

• Steve Jones - Editor (10/5/2009)

I miss anything? Just cranky old guys and gals complaining?

The post is a little self promotion, but I'm more willing to tolerate authors promoting themselves than companies. Might be a little hypocritical, but that's how I feel.

In case you wonder where I've been, this has been my project for the last 3 days: http://twitpic.com/kbfy1

I agree with your take on the forum post. I can choose not to read that post.

Bathroom floor looks good, what do you have left to do?

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Roy Ernest (10/5/2009)

Can someone clarify why you should do this?

Nope I have the same viewpoint as yourself. seems too heavy handed to set that at server level, especially considering the op's question is not that straight forward.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Thanks Silverfox, I felt that it was strange that he would suggest doing this just because it worked for him in one scenario. A sledgehammer approach is what I thought as well after seeing the post.

-Roy

The post is a little self promotion, but I'm more willing to tolerate authors promoting themselves than companies. Might be a little hypocritical, but that's how I feel.

In case you wonder where I've been, this has been my project for the last 3 days: http://twitpic.com/kbfy1

Excellent work. Well done.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Ehh? What's that? Speak-up youngun, we can't hear ya!

😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Silverfox (10/5/2009)

Roy Ernest (10/5/2009)

Can someone clarify why you should do this?

Nope I have the same viewpoint as yourself. seems too heavy handed to set that at server level, especially considering the op's question is not that straight forward.

Restricting MAXDOP server-wide is actually an SOP recommendation from MS. You can still override it in individual queries. But a more fine-grained/better approach is probably to just raise the 'cost threshold of parallelism' anyway.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Lost thur to errands and my wife's truck tires, but I need to cut 6 small trim pieces for the edges along the wall and then glue about 12 tiles down and grout the 2nd half. Going to take a break here soon to do that.

97 sq ft of tile gone down this weekend compare to only 3 cuts on my hands

Sheesh!

Lost thur to errands and my wife's truck tires, but I need to cut 6 small trim pieces for the edges along the wall and then glue about 12 tiles down and grout the 2nd half. Going to take a break here soon to do that.

97 sq ft of tile gone down this weekend compare to only 3 cuts on my hands

Sheesh!

Sounds like your winning, give us a tile by tile breakdown later on 😛

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• I think I'm winning, but my back and knee might disagree.

I'll blog the whole thing later. It's a good project, and easy to do if you don't mind a little work. I think I am paying about 1/2 the cost of hiring someone and getting it done as well. Tiling isn't hard, just time consuming.

• I have a whole drive way to do... I have no clue if I can do it.....;-) Not strong and No Stamina...:hehe: Getting old you see...:hehe:

-Roy

I think I'm winning, but my back and knee might disagree.

I feel your pain.

I've just finished doing the entire house over the period of about 18 months - now the wife doesn't have anything left to bust my balls over 😀

Atlantis Interactive - SQL Server Tools
    My blog[/url]
    Why I wrote a sql query analyzer clone

I think I am paying about 1/2 the cost of hiring someone and getting it done as well.

Well, this works when you wouldn't be earning more spending those hours in your usual job... That's why I try to do myself everything I can! 🙂

Nice job, BTW!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Matt Whitfield (10/5/2009)

Steve Jones - Editor (10/5/2009)

I think I'm winning, but my back and knee might disagree.

I feel your pain.

I've just finished doing the entire house over the period of about 18 months - now the wife doesn't have anything left to bust my balls over 😀

Somehow I think she'll find something! 😀

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• tosscrosby-60625 (10/5/2009)

Somehow I think she'll find something! 😀

Tell me about it!! :w00t:

Atlantis Interactive - SQL Server Tools
    My blog[/url]
    Why I wrote a sql query analyzer clone

Viewing 15 posts - 8,341 through 8,355 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply