Are the posted questions getting worse?

• congrats, Gus. Looks like Karma is working for you.

• Lynn,

Glad she's OK. It's slippery around here right now. We were worried when my oldest drove to Breck last night, but he made it OK.

• Wasn't the result of ice/snow. She got t-boned in a construction area. Dark, no traffic light, view severly hampered by signs and concrete k-bars. She thought she was clear and pulled out, she said it was like a movie crash. Spun her car 180 degrees, hitting her on the drivers side. She managed to crawl out the passenger side. Felt fine down there, but really started hurting after she got home. Ended up taking her out to Evans Community Hospital on Fort Carson.

• Lynn,

Sorry to hear about the accident and injury. Glad that they are not serious. Sounds like Kassondra should stay out of vehicles around holidays. Wasn't she in a car that hit a deer around Thanksgiving?

Gus,

My commute is about 3 minutes by foot. It would take me longer to drive. 😛

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Lynn Pettis (12/29/2009)

Congrats Gus. How about sending some of that good luck my way. Can't seem to catch a break at all.

Kassondra was in a car accident Sunday night (car is totalled, she's fine but sore); Kirisa (my middle daughter) got a chip fracture of her first knuckle of her left ring finger playing Keeper during an indoor soccer game yesterday. What else could go wrong??

Very glad that everyone is basically OK.

And you need to hush. Murphy listens. Never forget. Murphy is out there listening.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Jack Corbett (12/29/2009)

Lynn,

Sorry to hear about the accident and injury. Glad that they are not serious. Sounds like Kassondra should stay out of vehicles around holidays. Wasn't she in a car that hit a deer around Thanksgiving?

Gus,

Actually, our friend was on her way to pick her up for Thanksgiving, she was not in the car at the time.

We are trying to see if she can get a "new" car. I know I have to co-sign.

• Jack Corbett (12/29/2009)

Guess who to call after hours? 😀

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Anyone that wants to review an article of fixing Msg 8992 DBCC CHECKDB errors after upgrading from sql 2000, please PM me with how to send it to you. It's (currently) a three page Word (97-2003) document.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• A dead thread!

Don't you people realise that some of us need this thread - if only as a temporary diversion from the heady excitement that is a working day? Two days just isn't good enough.

Anyway, once you are all back I'd like to hope you enjoyed your break. Some of worked on regardless, although only because all of my leave is already booked.

I would also like to thank you all for your help over the last year, whether you realise you helped or not.

Sometimes I ask a question and get assistance, but more often than not I find the answer (or a pointer to the answer) because it has been answered previously. And more often than not I work out the answer whilst preparing test data and code for a question that I have.

Regardless of how I get the answer, SSC is where most of my knowledge is gleaned and I am very grateful for that.

I will almost certainly ask the occassional stupid question (although I'm a great believer in "the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask" - as long as some investigation was done beforehand) and hopefully will rarely supply stupid answers.

Looking forward to 2010 with SSC.

BrainDonor.

p.s. I'm not normally this sycophantic - I have a third dan in sarcasm and verbal abuse. Which probably explains why I find some of Gail's responses so entertaining!

Steve Hall
    Linkedin
    Blog Site

• @Gus:

Great everything turned into something "different" before the year ends. Let's hope that "different" = "better"!!

All the best for you and your family!

@Lynn:

Glad to hear that both of your kids don't have anything more than "some scratches"!

Metal, plastic and fuel can be replaced. It's a lot harder (closed to impossible) to replace/rebuild a broken body or a broken soul!

Seems like civil life is more dangerous than the army...

Wishing all the best to your two kids and to the rest of your family!

May the bad things that happened this year be enough to cover the next decade (at least)!

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• BrainDonor (12/31/2009)

A dead thread!

Don't you people realise that some of us need this thread - if only as a temporary diversion from the heady excitement that is a working day? Two days just isn't good enough.

Step 1 is admitting you have a problem...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• To the Denizens of The Thread, posters & lurkers, may you all have a happy new year and many happy returns of the day.

And to the posters, with their urgent, oddly phrased, vaguely described, homework and interview questions... same to you.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• GSquared (12/29/2009)

For anyone here a month or so ago, I have good news on the employment front. Starting a new job with a much better company in mid-Jan. (About half the IT team at the current company has left or is working through a 2-week notice.) Better pay, better benefits, better company, worse commute. And they're already fully upgraded to SQL 2008, so that'll be interesting and fun.

I'm very excited!

That's awesome - must be a nice way to close out the year:) Good luck with the new opportunity

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• GilaMonster (12/28/2009)

Grant Fritchey (12/28/2009)

I'm not even remotely a Star Wars fanboy

Aaahhh... Heresy!

😀

I'm not sure if this qualifies as heresy or not, or if it's "just plain wrong", but Darth had a close call the other day:

http://xkcd.com/682/[/url]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (#4) (12/31/2009)[/b

I'm not sure if this qualifies as heresy or not, or if it's "just plain wrong", but Darth had a close call the other day:

http://xkcd.com/682/[/url]

My very words were "That's just wrong", so that one has my vote.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 15 posts - 10,381 through 10,395 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply