Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I have heard a response to "wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole" as "Heck. I wouldn't touch it with a six-foot Romanian". (Sorry, Gail, but the pun doesn't work with "barge pole".)

• Lynn Pettis (1/8/2010)

GSquared (1/8/2010)

Lynn Pettis (1/8/2010)

Alvin Ramard (1/8/2010)

Hey Lynn, did you get that hippopotamus for Christmas?

😀

Thankfully, NO! I (actually the family) did get a few good (IMHO) movies: Star Trek, GI Joe, to name a couple.

GI Joe? I don't know, I just couldn't take a movie at face value that has ice falling through water to cruch the undersea base. On the other hand, the power-suits are what Starship Troopers needed and didn't have.

Pure escapism. Yes, I agree, the power-suits really would have added to Starship Troopers.

Plus, I was able to watch the movie with my middle daughter. Of course she watched it for the hottie in the movie.

power-suits wouldn't have 'added to' Starship Troopers, they were required, as they were included in the original. But, if you're going to reduce the political theory and character development of Heinlen to a frat party anyway, what the hell...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Lynn Pettis (1/8/2010)

And a newbie sees the light :w00t:

Nicely done, Lynn and John. 😀

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• john.arnott (1/8/2010)

I have heard a response to "wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole" as "Heck. I wouldn't touch it with a six-foot Romanian". (Sorry, Gail, but the pun doesn't work with "barge pole".)

... and that's how I end my day. :w00t: wow. Have fun all, see you next week.

• Great, now I'm getting Twitter messages (along with the PMs and mails) "Please answer this forum thread"

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (1/9/2010)

Great, now I'm getting Twitter messages (along with the PMs and mails) "Please answer this forum thread"

Heh... that's why I've not gone there. I get a lot of those same types of PM's and, unfortunately, emails. It's certainly a pain especially when busy but I have to look at it as people valuing our input. If I don't actually have the time, I'll respond as such. So far, people have respected that.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• that's annoying. I hope people don't answer them, and that was what I was worried with the #sqlhelp tag.

I do surface some interesting discussions on Twitter, but try not to overload things.

• That is extremely annoying. Some PMs and some emails is one thing - but then to go to the next medium.

If it is somebody I know, I would be more obliged to help - but still not through twits.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Steve Jones - Editor (1/9/2010)

that's annoying. I hope people don't answer them, and that was what I was worried with the #sqlhelp tag.

I answered it the same way I answer PMs.

"I answer all forum posts that I can answer that have not already been resolved by others. If I haven't posted to your thread, it means I cannot answer it"

Actually, if people bug me to answer their question, I'm likely to ignore it out of principal. It's another version of "Urgent!", the poster implying that their thread is more important than other people's

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Sheesh...check this one out.

Ten foot pole hey? A newspaper contributor recently described Roman Polanski as "The five foot Pole you wouldn't want to touch with a ten foot pole" 😀

When I read that on a commuter train, I nearly fell into a seat.

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• Take a look at this one

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic844889-392-1.aspx

It is one of the worst I have seen on SSC in a long long time.

Lynn - I must compliment you on your restraint in being civil with this arrogant S O B -- Been me, I would have reached through the monitor and punched him in the face.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• bitbucket-25253 (1/9/2010)

Take a look at this one

Lynn - I must compliment you on your restraint in being civil with this arrogant S O B -- Been me, I would have reached through the monitor and punched him in the face.

I guess that's why I have been called "The Saint of SSC". Trust me, there are many times I'd like to be more like the saints of antiquity and bean some of thes people on the head a few times.

• CirquedeSQLeil (1/9/2010)

That is extremely annoying. Some PMs and some emails is one thing - but then to go to the next medium. If it is somebody I know, I would be more obliged to help - but still not through tweets.

I had a phone call at 2am from one of the posters asking me for an opinion on a thread. 😀

Just kidding. But I suppose I shouldn't tempt fate.

• Paul White (1/9/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (1/9/2010)

That is extremely annoying. Some PMs and some emails is one thing - but then to go to the next medium. If it is somebody I know, I would be more obliged to help - but still not through tweets.

I had a phone call at 2am from one of the posters asking me for an opinion on a thread. 😀

Just kidding. But I suppose I shouldn't tempt fate.

Hey, that gave me an idea. Maybe we should all add our phone numbers to our signature.

:w00t:

NO!!! JUST KIDDING!!!

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• bitbucket-25253 (1/9/2010)

Take a look at this one

Heh yeah I still haven't dared answer this because I don't have Lynn's extraordinary restraint.

You have to ask yourself if individuals with this attitude, when skilled up to write decent TSQL, would make decent workmates.

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 10,531 through 10,545 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply