Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Roy Ernest (3/10/2010)

This OP does not want to fix the error... πŸ™‚

Right now I am tempted to tell him to go and read up on replication or search the google.:angry:

-Roy

• Google might be a good bet for him. Seems like he has lots of questions

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic880137-146-1.aspx

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic880152-146-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Dan.Humphries (3/9/2010)

I thought I would throw my two cents in on this one since I beleive I have likely asked a question in the past that seemed obvious to many. I for my part being new to SQL about 2 years ago had a lot to learn about where was a good source of information. I would often do a google search for something small and get many conflicting answers. I would ask these questions of the forum at first largely becuase I simply did not know were to look. It is one of the many anomalies we find in the Cyber world. We are not willing to trust a white paper from an anonymous author but we often find it very easy to trust completely an anonymous post in a forum.

Makes sense. To a large extent, an anonymous reply in a forum is something that you can ask for clarification on, while a whitepaper is usually not.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• A contender for the 'vague question of the week' award

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic880119-391-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Jeff Moden (3/9/2010)

Dan.Humphries (3/9/2010)

I thought I would throw my two cents in on this one since I beleive I have likely asked a question in the past that seemed obvious to many. I for my part being new to SQL about 2 years ago had a lot to learn about where was a good source of information. I would often do a google search for something small and get many conflicting answers. I would ask these questions of the forum at first largely becuase I simply did not know were to look. It is one of the many anomalies we find in the Cyber world. We are not willing to trust a white paper from an anonymous author but we often find it very easy to trust completely an anonymous post in a forum.

Well said and I agree with everything except the trust part... I found an easy way to keep from getting burned either by white papers or forums. Remember that Nixon would always say "Trust... but verify"? Heh... yeah... I'm all done with the "trust" part of that. For all that the internet has become, it's still just a well paved on-ramp to a dirt road. Watch for pot holes and nails. πŸ™‚

Good analogy. And in places the interwebs seem to be more goat trail than even the usual dirt road. One mis-step and you get to wind up at the bottom of an 800' cliff.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GilaMonster (3/10/2010)

Google might be a good bet for him. Seems like he has lots of questions

It is the same guy asking about the replication issue as well.. Interview questions?

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (3/10/2010)

lol.. Thanks Paul. And thanks for confirming that I am Crazy.. I am known as "The crazy DBA" at my work place... πŸ™‚

Nobody I know bothers to qualify that statement with my job title. For me, it's usually just, "he's that crazy guy".

Property of The Thread

• Roy Ernest (3/10/2010)

GilaMonster (3/10/2010)

Google might be a good bet for him. Seems like he has lots of questions

It is the same guy asking about the replication issue as well.. Interview questions?

I have a gut feel it's more like 'post interview now I have to do the job' questions.

Gail Shaw

• I asked him to go and read some....:-)

-Roy

• GSquared (3/10/2010)

Roy Ernest (3/10/2010)

lol.. Thanks Paul. And thanks for confirming that I am Crazy.. I am known as "The crazy DBA" at my work place... πŸ™‚

Nobody I know bothers to qualify that statement with my job title. For me, it's usually just, "he's that crazy guy".

You're not "that crazy guy"? πŸ˜›

I often say: "If I wasn't crazy I'd be insane." (Insane I'd be if crazy I not.) πŸ™‚

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I think people are just shaking their heads when talking about me. No words needed.:hehe:

• Lynn Pettis (3/9/2010)

However, I appreciate the sentiment, thank you! :smooooth:

Lynn Pettis, Most Valuable Parent does it for me.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I missed one.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic880142-146-1.aspx

Copy only backup. No, I mean snapshot backup. Huh?

Gail Shaw

• When I get my next data warehouse, I'm gonna carpet it :w00t:

Mmm, nice warm floors...

• Okay, brief synopsis of last nights soccer game, Coronado at Widefield. At the end of the first half, the score was Coronado 7, Widefield 0. Coronado scored 2 more goals during the first 20 minutes of the second half to hold a 9 - 0 lead, one more goal and the game is over (mercy rule).

Just under 15 minutes left in the game, Coronado driving for the game ending score gets fouled in the penalty area setting up a PK to end the game.

Coronado soots, Widefield keeper makes the save! Widefield comes back to score 2 goals. Coronado manages to score their 10th goal with about 2 minutes left, but unable to score any more after that. Games ends with Coronado winning 10 -2.

Viewing 15 posts - 12,391 through 12,405 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply