Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Paul White (3/18/2010)

New record today: four emails (not PMs) asking me to help with unrelated problems off-thread. May be time to take that off I guess.

Lucky you. buahahaha. I have only received a handful total - still less than four different people though.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Paul White (3/18/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/18/2010)

I do think that he has changed somewhat over the last month or so.

Interesting. I thought that a while back, but just recently I've been in a number of threads that changed my mind again. Real basic stuff too.

I do find that interesting. Maybe it is me that has changed? I am trying to see his explanation from a different point of view and to see how it might apply. Hoping that it was a short-coming in explanation. I have seen a couple where he relented. But there are probably plenty out there to contradict too.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/18/2010)

Maybe it is me that has changed?

Perhaps it is the tutu?

• Paul White NZ (3/18/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/18/2010)

Maybe it is me that has changed?

Perhaps it is the tutu?

Kilt for me, hippo has the tutu;-)

Learn Extended Events

• Don't think that teaching moments are just for the argue-ee, or that their lack of understanding is a failure.

These discussions are viewed by many. They exist for a long time. Plenty of people coming through here over time will get the teaching. It would help if more than just one person argued as well. Jumping in to support Gail here does help show that it's not just two people swinging from the heels at each other, but rather lends credence to the fact that there is one person unwilling to learn.

• The main problem I have seen is him not reading/understanding what the OP asks. I always keep away from the main threads where you all know more than me. I have seen cases where he has given couple of bad advices in the replication threads. When I corrected them, he did not try to fight it. But he did give some good advices as well. So I am OK with him.

-Roy

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/18/2010)

These discussions are viewed by many. They exist for a long time.

That is kinda scary too.

Plenty of people coming through here over time will get the teaching. It would help if more than just one person argued as well. Jumping in to support Gail here does help show that it's not just two people swinging from the heels at each other, but rather lends credence to the fact that there is one person unwilling to learn.

Ha. Like Gail needs support from me. I just hope I didn't get in the way really.

• Discussions are great but there are times I see that some get a bit nasty as well. Some take it too personnel. Thats what will scare others away.

-Roy

• They do get personal and nasty. Please report those, and I try to moderate/censure/edit as needed. We all get upset at posts at different times.

Paul, you added some good info, and it's not that Gail needs to the support, it's that the OP, or others reading it gain confidence when a position is supported by multiple people. Otherwise how do they know that Gail is any smarter than the other guy/gal?

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/18/2010)

...it's that the OP, or others reading it gain confidence when a position is supported by multiple people. Otherwise how do they know that Gail is any smarter than the other guy/gal?

True. Whatever happened to that idea of incorporating an MVP flag on the site?

• Paul White NZ (3/18/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (3/18/2010)

...it's that the OP, or others reading it gain confidence when a position is supported by multiple people. Otherwise how do they know that Gail is any smarter than the other guy/gal?

True. Whatever happened to that idea of incorporating an MVP flag on the site?

MVP doesn't necessarily mean that you know what you're talking about, just that you're an MVP on a specific topic (somewhere hidden in the bowels of the Thread is this discussion relating to the doctoral candidate passing out bad advice, while an MVP on an unrelated topic)

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Paul, I am in agreement with the flag only partially... There are quite few MVPs here. Almost 95% of them are good. BUT, I have seen couple of MVP's that are not providing the correct advice (gives bad advice). Someone who is not an MVP might provide a better solution. But if there is an MVP flag, the OP might choose the bad advice just because there is an MVP flag.

-Roy

• My developers ran away 🙁

Assigned to other projects, so I can't get any "profile" changes, despite a long list of them I have.

• jcrawf02 (3/18/2010)

MVP doesn't necessarily mean that you know what you're talking about, just that you're an MVP on a specific topic

I know...really I do...I have encountered more than one SQL Server MVP (not one of the bigger names) that have, er, disappointed me somewhat.

I suppose I was thinking that Steve would only enable it on request, and only for people he could vouch for. Something like that. Dunno really, maybe it is a dumb idea.

• How did this work? I just registered for PASS (wahoo!), used the SSC code and got $200 off the registration? I had heard that you couldn't use the early registration discount and the SSC code, but thought I'd give it a go anyway and wow - glad I did!

Steve - did I make off with the bank, or is that what is supposed to happen?

Chad

Viewing 15 posts - 12,931 through 12,945 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply