Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Barry,

Glad to see you are back and appear to be doing well. Hope the surgery turns out to be a total success and that your back issues are over.

Gail,

I'm no art critic, I think the picture is good, but I'm impressed by stick figures so I'm certainly not the one to listen to.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• The Dixie Flatline (3/24/2010)

RBarryYoung (3/23/2010)

The Dixie Flatline (3/23/2010)

Man, you're in fine form tonight Barry. The pain meds must be extra-fine. It almost makes me wish I'd kept my signature line listing you as my evil twin.

No man, you're the evil twin! Remember, you've got the beard? πŸ˜€

I do? (Feeling face...)

Oh my....

ALVINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Why are you yelling at me? You didn't have the beard when I last saw you, and as far as I know, beards are not contagious, so don't blame me!!! πŸ˜€

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Luke L (3/24/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/23/2010)

Ok, new subject.

Anyone in here use Windows Home Server? If so, would you recommend it?

Not yet but I'm planning to install the eval on an old machine I have at the house. I'm pretty sure I remember Steve blogging about it or perhaps it was one of the editorials, anyhow it was basically about home disaster recovery... It's the reason why I'm investigating it, along with the media sharing capabilities...

I'll let you know how it comes out and would appreciate you feedback as well.

-Luke.

Thanks Luke. (Sounds a bit funny saying that. My son's name is Luke.)

I need a new HD for my desktop and I've been thinking about temporarily putting it in as my C drive with WHS (eval) on it. I want too see how it works and I need to test if I can install SQL 2008 Developer on it. If I can, I may convert PC to WHS instead of getting a new machine.

Here's the link to what Steve wrote:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/steve_jones/archive/2009/12/9/windows-home-server-setup-and-installation.aspx

I'll probably post something in "Anything that is NOT about SQL!" before I make the commitment.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (3/24/2010)

...as far as I know, beards are not contagious

Not so sure...Gus caught it from somewhere...;-)

• Tom Brown-169591 (3/24/2010)

I know our Hero - Steve Jones - drops by here occasionally (does flattery get you anywhere here?)

We wouldn't know if flattery works, we're too busy making fun of each other. Like the Amish guy who ate Gus, or the Canadian chipmunk.:-P

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Tom Brown-169591 (3/24/2010)

I know our Hero - Steve Jones - drops by here occasionally (does flattery get you anywhere here?)

Much more often then you may think! Steve is all-knowing/all-seeing, sometimes with a little help from his friends, but he does have his finger on the pulse of the site.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Luke L (3/24/2010)

Tom Brown-169591 (3/24/2010)

I've noticed some renaming of users has gone on while I wasn't looking, and some zero-point newbie now has my name, whilst I get some random number tagged onto mine.

I guess its old news by now but can someone point me in the direction of any discussion/comment/friendly banter by others disgruntled with their unannounced name change - I can't be the only one!

And can I get my name back.

Tom there was some discussion about if on this thread a couple of thousand posts ago. Also there was an announcement by Steve here. http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic789066-83-1.aspx

-Luke.

OK I've found the Account Options and I hope I've dropped the 1138 from my THX

• Paul White NZ (3/24/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/24/2010)

It's hereditary. I got my beard from my dad. πŸ˜€

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• jcrawf02 (3/24/2010)

Tom Brown-169591 (3/24/2010)

We wouldn't know if flattery works, we're too busy making fun of each other. Like the Amish guy who ate Gus, or the Canadian chipmunk.:-P

An Amish DBA .... hmmmm .... I guess he'd have LinkedIn connections to a Catholic Abortionist, a Muslim Pork-Butcher, and an Atheist Theologian.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (3/24/2010)

Paul White NZ (3/24/2010)

Alvin Ramard (3/24/2010)

It's hereditary. I got my beard from my dad. πŸ˜€

Well, I certainly hope you didn't get it from your Mom. πŸ˜€

Alvin Ramard

• Alvin Ramard (3/23/2010)

GilaMonster (3/23/2010)

http://twitter.com/sqltech2 if you're interested in the 'defendant's' views/

Looks like he may be learning!!!!

http://sqltechconsulting.com/2009/12/25/top-tips-for-effective-database-maintenance/

Pay attention to: Exerpt from Paul Randal’s Effective Database Maintenance Tips,”

At least he's making it obvious somebody else wrote it.

Edit: I need to add a note. The link I posted points to a blog post where the person in question has added suitable reference to the original item. This came after much criticism. It's a step in the right direction.

• Tom Brown (3/24/2010)

I've noticed some renaming of users has gone on while I wasn't looking, and some zero-point newbie now has my name, whilst I get some random number tagged onto mine.

I guess its old news by now but can someone point me in the direction of any discussion/comment/friendly banter by others disgruntled with their unannounced name change - I can't be the only one!

And can I get my name back.

Do you not want Tom Brown? We did this a few months back to clean up names. Apparently despite the fact that our handles are how we were identified, my developers felt that a unique index (and validation) of unique names on this field were not needed. I convinced them and they changed names to be unique, but went by first sign up date. Not sure that was more fair than using last login, but that was what they picked.

Apologies for any annoyance on this. Didn't have a great method of choosing this. I would have chosen points.

• Welcome back, Barry. Glad to see your fingers are still working.

• For anyone interested, I've posted some re-wedding photos here: http://cid-e6913e4614e21659.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/2nd%20Wedding?authkey=0Y6JV2r3!hU%24

Kit (my wife) and I are having our 20th anniversary later this year. To celebrate, I re-proposed to her on Valentine's Day, and we did a renewal of vows ceremony last Saturday, on the 20th (symbolic). It was a good ceremony.

Property of The Thread

• tosscrosby-60625 (3/24/2010)

Much more often then you may think! Steve is all-knowing/all-seeing, sometimes with a little help from his friends, but he does have his finger on the pulse of the site.

Some days, like today, I feel like it's a full time job following you miscreants and THE Thread!! πŸ˜›

I think I came back from a meeting to find 100 messages from this topic in my email.

Viewing 15 posts - 13,246 through 13,260 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply