Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/24/2010)

tosscrosby-60625 (3/24/2010)

Much more often then you may think! Steve is all-knowing/all-seeing, sometimes with a little help from his friends, but he does have his finger on the pulse of the site.

Some days, like today, I feel like it's a full time job following you miscreants and THE Thread!! 😛

I think I came back from a meeting to find 100 messages from this topic in my email.

I almost turned off the notifications from the Thread before going to bed last night. Those emails were mostly Barry catching up. 😛

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Much more often then you may think! Steve is all-knowing/all-seeing, sometimes with a little help from his friends, but he does have his finger on the pulse of the site.

Some days, like today, I feel like it's a full time job following you miscreants and THE Thread!! 😛

I think I came back from a meeting to find 100 messages from this topic in my email.

Woohoo, we've been upgraded to miscreants.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Tom Brown (3/24/2010)

I know our Hero - Steve Jones - drops by here occasionally (does flattery get you anywhere here?)

I've noticed some renaming of users has gone on while I wasn't looking, and some zero-point newbie now has my name, whilst I get some random number tagged onto mine.

I guess its old news by now but can someone point me in the direction of any discussion/comment/friendly banter by others disgruntled with their unannounced name change - I can't be the only one!

And can I get my name back.

Do you not want Tom Brown? We did this a few months back to clean up names. Apparently despite the fact that our handles are how we were identified, my developers felt that a unique index (and validation) of unique names on this field were not needed. I convinced them and they changed names to be unique, but went by first sign up date. Not sure that was more fair than using last login, but that was what they picked.

Apologies for any annoyance on this. Didn't have a great method of choosing this. I would have chosen points.

All Solved. I went for Tom double-space Brown in my settings, which it accepted - and browsers just display a single space. thats why (unless you look others quoting my stuff) I'm Tom Brown again.

I'm happy with that.

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/24/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (3/24/2010)

Don't get too excited. Steve was just trying to be nice to you. 😛

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Warning: Don't try this you'll be in for a long wait.

Just experimenting with the various options + settings and I tried "Display Mode" -> "Threaded" on this thread.

Bad mistake.

Finally put IE out of its misery after it had swallowed 1.5Gb and showed no sign of return after 5 mins.

• Tom Brown (3/24/2010)

Finally put IE out of its misery after it had swallowed 1.5Gb and showed no sign of return after 5 mins.

Is that not normal for IE? 😛 :w00t:

• Paul White NZ (3/24/2010)

Tom Brown (3/24/2010)

You jest but unfortunately its not abnormal.

So we're lucky that NONE of our SQL Servers are connected to the internet, with IE being quite capable of stealing all the available CPU!

Means I can't just cut'n'paste on QOTD though.

• Alvin Ramard (3/24/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/24/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (3/24/2010)

Don't get too excited. Steve was just trying to be nice to you. 😛

Oh. I was so hopeful too.

Learn Extended Events

• Tom Brown (3/24/2010)

Paul White NZ (3/24/2010)

Tom Brown (3/24/2010)

So we're lucky that NONE of our SQL Servers are connected to the internet, with IE being quite capable of stealing all the available CPU!

Internet Exploder is quite the beast. I prefer chrome - though not compatible with all sites yet.

As for the cut and paste, do you not have the ability to access errors logs or use SSMS from your desktop to connect to the server?

Learn Extended Events

Tom Brown (3/24/2010)

Paul White NZ (3/24/2010)

Tom Brown (3/24/2010)

Internet Exploder is quite the beast. I prefer chrome - though not compatible with all sites yet.

As for the cut and paste, do you not have the ability to access errors logs or use SSMS from your desktop to connect to the server?

Not from my Desktop - but its so underpowered I wouldn't be able to do much with them anyway - maybe look at them in notepad - But I have a Windows 2003 Server under the desk on an entirely separate closed network - which is my point of entry to the various SQL Servers I have to use.

I prefer chrome - though not compatible with all sites yet.

Chrome here too - version 5.0.356.2 today.

I find it very stable, fast, and compatible with all the sites I use regularly.

• I tried out Chrome for a couple of weeks. I don't remember why, but it ended up not working out for me.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I find that Chrome requires much less memory. I like the ease of tab manipulation (drag and drop to new window). I also like the history window, from where I can quickly launch a new tab.

Downsides - porting bookmarks into a different computer. It can be done, but may be kind of tricky.

I also like Chrome 3D.

Current version

4.1.249.1036 beta (41514)

Looks like I need to upgrade.

Learn Extended Events

I find that Chrome requires much less memory. I like the ease of tab manipulation (drag and drop to new window). I also like the history window, from where I can quickly launch a new tab.

Downsides - porting bookmarks into a different computer. It can be done, but may be kind of tricky.

I also like Chrome 3D.

Current version

4.1.249.1036 beta (41514)

Looks like I need to upgrade.

Me too. Although I'm not on beta.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• I decided not to use Chrome due to some issues with some of the language in the EULA revolving around usage rights of my private data and their storage and re-distribution of it. i.e. if I use Chrome to write/post a blog then who owns the re-distribution rights to that gets kinda fuzzy. I understand they've changed some of that, but I'd prefer to play it safe and continue to use FF.

But then again, I tend to hold grudges against companies for stupid things they do on the technology front for probably too long. Case in point, it's been years since the Sony rootkit debacle, but I still refuse to purchase anything with the word Sony anywhere near it.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 13,261 through 13,275 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply