Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I had problems with FF 3.5 so got off of it into Chrome. I don't even have FF installed now. I do use IE especially for some of the MS sites (MCP site hasn't worked with Chrome).

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (3/24/2010)

I had problems with FF 3.5 so got off of it into Chrome. I don't even have FF installed now. I do use IE especially for some of the MS sites (MCP site hasn't worked with Chrome).

Jack, what kind of FF problems were you having? I've been using it, and haven't seen any issues with it.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (3/24/2010)

Jack Corbett (3/24/2010)

I had problems with FF 3.5 so got off of it into Chrome. I don't even have FF installed now. I do use IE especially for some of the MS sites (MCP site hasn't worked with Chrome).

Jack, what kind of FF problems were you having? I've been using it, and haven't seen any issues with it.

Ditto here, but I'm on 3.6.2(released yesterday 'cause of security vulns...) Although I do think that FF is starting to experience the same kinds of bloat that have hindered IE for a while. Seems like it uses way more memory than it needs to, either that or it's the plugins I'm using (ieTab, Clippings, Noscript, firebug)

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• WayneS (3/24/2010)

Jack Corbett (3/24/2010)

BIggest issue was that when there was any javascript in the page it would grab a ton of memory and actually it would freeze up eventually. Using SSC, GMAIL, and Google Reader, there is a lot of javascript, so I had all kinds of problems. Of course part of it was McAfee as well.

Jack Corbett

I had more problems with FF than IE (most notable the memory leaks that were supposed to be fixed by this update or that patch, etc. etc. etc)

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

WayneS (3/24/2010)

Jack Corbett (3/24/2010)

BIggest issue was that when there was any javascript in the page it would grab a ton of memory and actually it would freeze up eventually. Using SSC, GMAIL, and Google Reader, there is a lot of javascript, so I had all kinds of problems. Of course part of it was McAfee as well.

I also saw that it had problems with Flash. It would consistently consume all memory on the system and then hard lock the system. Understood that it was a combination of the memory leaks with FF and memory leaks with Flash, but it shouldn't cause that sort of problem.

I too have seen the issues with java and javascript in FF.

Learn Extended Events

• GSquared (3/24/2010)

jcrawf02 (3/24/2010)

Tom Brown-169591 (3/24/2010)

I know our Hero - Steve Jones - drops by here occasionally (does flattery get you anywhere here?)

We wouldn't know if flattery works, we're too busy making fun of each other. Like the Amish guy who ate Gus, or the Canadian chipmunk.:-P

An Amish DBA .... hmmmm .... I guess he'd have LinkedIn connections to a Catholic Abortionist, a Muslim Pork-Butcher, and an Atheist Theologian.

woohoo! Bad joke segue::hehe:

Have you heard the one about the insomniac dyslexic agnostic?

He stayed up all night wondering if there really was a Dog

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Steve Jones - Editor (3/24/2010)

tosscrosby-60625 (3/24/2010)

Much more often then you may think! Steve is all-knowing/all-seeing, sometimes with a little help from his friends, but he does have his finger on the pulse of the site.

Some days, like today, I feel like it's a full time job following you miscreants and THE Thread!! 😛

I think I came back from a meeting to find 100 messages from this topic in my email.

I just unsubscribed from The Thread, saved it as a Favorite, and whenever I get a chance, go back to where I was in the conversation. Once I'm done catching up, I overwrite the favorite, and I don't have to deal with the emails.

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/24/2010)

Jack Corbett (3/24/2010)

WayneS (3/24/2010)

Jack Corbett (3/24/2010)

I also saw that it had problems with Flash. It would consistently consume all memory on the system and then hard lock the system. Understood that it was a combination of the memory leaks with FF and memory leaks with Flash, but it shouldn't cause that sort of problem.

I suppose that's why I don't have issues... Noscript stops all java, js, vbscript, flash, etc from running. It really cuts down on the number of ads I see, as well as keeping my browsing safer. I have to explicitly trust sites or pages one by one. i.e. I trust SSC.com to make all of the navigation work correctly, but I don't trust the scripts from googleanalytics, adspeed.net, or jobthread.com on these pages (sorry Steve).

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke L (3/24/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (3/24/2010)

Jack Corbett (3/24/2010)

WayneS (3/24/2010)

Jack Corbett (3/24/2010)

I suppose that's why I don't have issues... Noscript stops all java, js, vbscript, flash, etc from running. It really cuts down on the number of ads I see, as well as keeping my browsing safer. I have to explicitly trust sites or pages one by one. i.e. I trust SSC.com to make all of the navigation work correctly, but I don't trust the scripts from googleanalytics, adspeed.net, or jobthread.com on these pages (sorry Steve).

Interesting. It is very likely the reason you haven't seen the extreme memory leaks. Even without those leaks, I believe it still consumes more memory than Chrome.

Learn Extended Events

• Am I correct in thinking that if (oops, 2005 instance, should specify) I wanted to know the most heavily accessed tables (SELECTs, not data manipulation) I would have to use Profiler? (versus table statistics or DMV-like tables in 05)

• Profiler would work, but you could probably put something together using sys.dm_index_usage_stats too.

Jack Corbett

• I use this on 2K5. I have a job that runs every night and stores it in a table so I can see historical trends - also allows me to see data from before a service restart, which resets the counters:

SELECT sysobjects.name AS TableName

, CASE when indexes.name is null and type_desc = 'HEAP' THEN 'HEAP'

ELSE indexes.name END AS IndexName

, Type_Desc

, GETDATE() AS CaptureDatetime

, user_seeks

, user_scans

, user_lookups

, user_updates

FROM [YourDatabaseName].sys.indexes

LEFT JOIN sys.dm_db_index_usage_stats

ON indexes.object_id = dm_db_index_usage_stats.object_id

AND indexes.index_id = dm_db_index_usage_stats.index_id

LEFT JOIN [YourDatabaseName].dbo.sysobjects ON dm_db_index_usage_stats.Object_ID = sysobjects.id

WHERE Database_ID = db_id('YourDatabaseName')

ORDER BY sysobjects.name, indexes.name

Chad

Edit: Took out the DB Name and substituted a placeholder

• Chad Crawford (3/24/2010)

I use this on 2K5. I have a job that runs every night and stores it in a table so I can see historical trends - also allows me to see data from before a service restart, which resets the counters:

, Type_Desc

, user_seeks

, user_scans

, user_lookups

, user_updates

LEFT JOIN [YourDatabaseName].dbo.sysobjects ON dm_db_index_usage_stats.Object_ID = sysobjects.id

Chad

Thanks cuz! (and unc for the reply)

• Chad Crawford (3/24/2010)

I use this on 2K5. I have a job that runs every night and stores it in a table so I can see historical trends - also allows me to see data from before a service restart, which resets the counters:

, Type_Desc

, user_seeks

, user_scans

, user_lookups

, user_updates

Chad

I hope you don't mind.

I took the liberty of removing the SQL2000 type stuff (dbo.sysobjects) and reformatted a bit.

SELECT o.name AS TableName

,CASE

When i.index_id = 0 And i.type_desc = 'HEAP'

THEN 'HEAP'

ELSE i.name

END AS IndexName

, i.Type_Desc

, user_seeks

, user_scans

, user_lookups

, user_updates

FROM [YourDBName].sys.indexes i

LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.dm_db_index_usage_stats s

ON i.object_id = s.object_id

AND i.index_id = s.index_id

LEFT OUTER JOIN [YourDBName].sys.objects o

ON s.Object_ID = o.object_id

WHERE Database_ID = db_id('YourDBName')

And is_ms_shipped = 0 --Unless you want to see the system table info.

ORDER BY o.name, i.name

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 13,276 through 13,290 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply