Memory

• Grant Fritchey (11/14/2014)

Dana Medley (11/14/2014)

First off, let me say thank you for submitting a question. Although (to me) the wording was a little off, it was still a good "back to basics" type question.

Just remember, the devil is in the details; even with a requirements question like this the answers can change depending on the "bitness" of your OS to the version of SQL Server you're using, so make sure everyone is on the same page when you submit your next question. 😀 TGIF

That icon for you made me crazy for a minute. Well done.

It gets me every time for an instant. I want to swat the fly off the screen.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Ozzmodiar (11/14/2014)

So...do we have a way to report these questions for review? The question is clearly a bad post. We should be given our points.

No where did it state MINIMUM and there was no mention at all of an edition. How do these questions get passed the moderators in the first place!

I can see that the majority of answers were "None of the above" which given the lack of context in the question was the correct answer.

Cheers!

No, you shouldn't be given points, bad question or not. Pretty sure the Steve already knows as he tends to monitor these things.

• jts2013 (11/14/2014)

Drat - burnt by the badly worded question, which didn't mention express edition 🙂

Better luck next time!

+1

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Fair enough.

When i say "given points" I mean those who selected the correct answer (None of the above) should be awarded.

• Lynn Pettis (11/14/2014)

Ozzmodiar (11/14/2014)

So...do we have a way to report these questions for review? The question is clearly a bad post. We should be given our points.

No where did it state MINIMUM and there was no mention at all of an edition. How do these questions get passed the moderators in the first place!

I can see that the majority of answers were "None of the above" which given the lack of context in the question was the correct answer.

Cheers!

No, you shouldn't be given points, bad question or not. Pretty sure the Steve already knows as he tends to monitor these things.

When I said I wanted my point, I said it in a kidding fashion - kind of like a spoiled little kid. Whether the question was ambiguous or not, it still caused me to research and validate what I already thought. So, in reality, I still benefited from the question! :w00t:

• Rune Bivrin (11/14/2014)

Minimum:

Express Editions: 512 MB

All other editions: 1 GB

Recommended:

Express Editions: 1 GB

All other editions: At least 4 GB and should be increased as database size increases to ensure optimal performance.

Since the question didn't specify Express Edition there's really no answer that's completely correct.

+1

• Agree with prior comments - the question was not clear. Recommended memory is 4GB, except for Express editions which is 1GB. The question did not state express edition, so the correct answer is 4GB. Since it was not listed, None of the Above is correct. Seems 3 of 4 persons feel the same, with 28% of the responses being correct.

• The question needed to be a little more to the point if it was going to focus on a specific edition.

• Your question is about SQL Server 2012, and you've posted a reference for SQL Server 2014.

Additionally from the reference:

[1]The minimum memory required for installing the Data Quality Server component in Data Quality Services (DQS) is 2 GB of RAM, which is different from the SQL Server 2014 minimum memory requirement. For information about installing DQS, see Install Data Quality Services.

so the question is not complete and clear.

Igor Micev,
    My blog: www.igormicev.com

• pstanislav (11/14/2014)

Agree with prior comments - the question was not clear. Recommended memory is 4GB, except for Express editions which is 1GB. The question did not state express edition, so the correct answer is 4GB. Since it was not listed, None of the Above is correct. Seems 3 of 4 persons feel the same, with 28% of the responses being correct.

Good question, wrong answer! Great comments - Happy Friday!

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• The question is not appropriate. I guessed and chose the right option. Got 1 point.

Thanks.

• Rune Bivrin (11/14/2014)

Minimum:

Express Editions: 512 MB

All other editions: 1 GB

Recommended:

Express Editions: 1 GB

All other editions: At least 4 GB and should be increased as database size increases to ensure optimal performance.

Since the question didn't specify Express Edition there's really no answer that's completely correct.

I disagree with this remark. The memory recommendation is "1GB for Express, 4GB or more for other editions". This is an exact match with the answer option "None of the above". That answer is the only correct answer to this question (chosen by 48% of all people, the majority).

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Beeeuuuuuuhhh...

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Thanks for the question. Sometimes I wonder if there should be a "fill in the blank" option.

• What a poor question and answer! The question should specify which edition it is asking about when it is a question which has different answers for different editions.

The recommended amount for all editions except express is 4GB. Since the question doesn't specify an edition it would be reasonable to assume that standard edition was intended so that 4GB would be the right answer, or it might be reasonable to assume that the recommendation for the majority of editions (4 out of 7) is what is wanted so that 4GB would be right again. It certainly doesn't seem reasonable to pick the figure for Express edition (1GB). But I don't think it's reasonable to pick one of the other editions either, when the question doesn't specity it. An answer is available ("none of the above") which would actually be correct if it were the last of teh options, since there is nothing which is the recommended amout from SQL server 2012, only two things which are recommendations not for SQL 2012 but only for particular editions of it.

But I rather dislike "none of the above" when it's in the middle of the list of options, as here, because that looks as if someone is using "the above" incorrecly to mean "none of the other options" although some of the other options don't appear above it.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply