The Missing Certification

• Well said Kit G!

And to Gift,

You should stop feeling offended.

You should make a concerted effort to speak simple and clear English. No slang or cute expressions - please! Well, sometimes they come in handy.:-P

I currently live in Italy and speak the language fluently. But when someone talks to me in the Milanese dialect or the Napolitano dialect or the Veneziano dialect I go bananas.

And many here on this forum are going bananas because of your frequent use of incomprehensible English.

Until we overcome this problem there is no point to feeling offended. Because it all comes down to us just not understanding each other from a linguistic point of view.

• Michael Meierruth (3/29/2010)

Well said Kit G!

And to Gift,

You should stop feeling offended.

You should make a concerted effort to speak simple and clear English. No slang or cute expressions - please! Well, sometimes they come in handy.:-P

I currently live in Italy and speak the language fluently. But when someone talks to me in the Milanese dialect or the Napolitano dialect or the Veneziano dialect I go bananas.

And many here on this forum are going bananas because of your frequent use of incomprehensible English.

Until we overcome this problem there is no point to feeling offended. Because it all comes down to us just not understanding each other from a linguistic point of view.

That is perhaps the best way to put it. I don't know what appeals to this person and can help her respond, i do know many times people feel overwhelmed by the amount of explaining they have to do - and telling someone not to feel offended hardly helps them to 'not feel offended' they are beyond that already emotionally. If you come from a culture where people speak fast, rely on intuition, sentiments and whole bunch of other stuff into a culture where verbally clarifying matters is the best and easiest way to communicate, that transition takes a long time and many times the person is left asking 'why should I do it, how much effort have they made in their life understanding someone like me, and so on. People get around in their own time and perhaps with less verbalising what we think we may be helping too.

• I currently live in Italy and speak the language fluently. But when someone talks to me in the Milanese dialect or the Napolitano dialect or the Veneziano dialect I go bananas

The reason for that is all three are not related.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie (3/29/2010)

I currently live in Italy and speak the language fluently. But when someone talks to me in the Milanese dialect or the Napolitano dialect or the Veneziano dialect I go bananas

The reason for that is all three are not related.

OF COURSE they are not related!

And that's why THEY don't understand each other!

And that's why WE don't understand each other!

It has nothing to do with the SUBJECT MATTER.

Speaking of the subject matter, why don't you present a simple synthesis of your points as a way of starting over again and kill all the confusion.

Of course, if you are not interested...

But I sincerely hope the contrary...

And to avoid confusion in the above English usage, I SINCERELY HOPE YOU ARE INTERESTED!

Please, be interested.:-)

• And that's why THEY don't understand each other!

So why did you post it?

The Napolitano is warm and friendly, the Vienezano is cultured and reserved and the Milanese is snooty and aloof.

Please post your MCITP number so I will know you are qualified to participate in an academic discussion about post MCITP credential. The reason is when I registered for my MCDBA upgrade exam the system checks to make sure I had MCDBA and I have passed 70-431. So please post your MCITP DBA number so we can continue.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Michael Meierruth (3/29/2010)

Gift Peddie (3/29/2010)

It's entirely possible that the whole problem here is that it's very, very difficult to understand what you're writing, since it isn't standard English.

It is Broadcast Journalism Engilish written as spoken words and word count is the most important.

Gift,

This phrase is a typical example of something from you that is incomprehensible.

Thus explain what you mean by this last phrase.

I'm willing to meet you half way in the effort to understand this last phrase. Even three quarters of the way. I'm open minded and read and write English pretty well (although it is not my mother tongue).

The problem is you and the others don't understand me but you understand the talking heads. And again many users thanks me and sometimes ask for systems created off line. So I don't understand your reasoning for raising this because this subject comes up when I challenge crap being proposed to keep people out of Microsoft technology because Microsoft makes technology is easy.

Nope. That's not the problem.

English is a communications protocol. If you don't follow the rules of the protocol, don't expect anyone to understand you. It's really as simple as that.

The reason I bring this up is because I prefer understanding people. Almost every day, I deal with people for whom English is not their native language, and I don't speak whatever language is. I go out of my way to understand them, and to make sure they understand me. It takes some extra work, but it's worth it.

As for the last half of your paragraph, it's gibberish, so I can't respond to it. It doesn't actually say anything at all, despite what you might think.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Lynn, you have been quiet..do you think we want to switch to another thread to talk of certification possiblities...we were getting great input from Jeff, Wayne, Grant and so many others now we have switched topics almost with cross cultural conversations with difficult people...Am not one bit against the latter but would love to see the inputs gain some shape before thread is closed(or everyone forgets what it was about:)...thoughts?

• English is a communications protocol.

I was told it was a language apologise for not knowing it is a communication protocol.

As for the last half of your paragraph, it's gibberish, so I can't respond to it. It doesn't actually say anything at all, despite what you might think.

Please post your MCITP number so I will know you are qualified to participate in an academic discussion about post MCITP credential. The reason is when I registered for my MCDBA upgrade exam the system checks to make sure I had MCDBA and I have passed 70-431. So please post your MCITP DBA number so we can continue.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

And that's why THEY don't understand each other!

So why did you post it?

The Napolitano is warm and friendly, the Vienezano is cultured and reserved and the Milanese is snooty and aloof.

If the only people who are qualified to discuss this matter are ones who can prove they have the academic credentials for this, then I suggest you start out by proving (a) your identity, (b) your own credentials. Start with proof of identity, because the cert claims won't matter if you aren't who you say you are.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• If the only people who are qualified to discuss this matter are ones who can prove they have the academic credentials for this, then I suggest you start out by proving (a) your identity, (b) your own credentials. Start with proof of identity, because the cert claims won't matter if you aren't who you say you are.

I know you will get to that when need you will work with a PHD in education.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

English is a communications protocol.

I was told it was a language apologise for not knowing it is a communication protocol.

What do you think languages are? They are communication protocols. If you don't understand that, then look up "communication" and "protocol" in a dictionary, and then look up "language".

As for the certs, prove who you are. You claim a large number of certs, but without proof of identity, anyone can claim anything.

Property of The Thread

English is a communications protocol.

I'm proud to say that I'm not certified (certifiable, but that's another discussion).

Until and unless the "missing certification" is administered by Microsoft, then anyone and everyone is free to provide input. Even after it's administered by MS, anyone could still provide input, it just won't be worth as much in all likelihood.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

I'm giving up on the idea of having understandable English in the thread.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

If the only people who are qualified to discuss this matter are ones who can prove they have the academic credentials for this, then I suggest you start out by proving (a) your identity, (b) your own credentials. Start with proof of identity, because the cert claims won't matter if you aren't who you say you are.

I know you will get to that when need you will work with a PHD in education.

I have a PhD in Education. And one in Physics, another in Math, another in Chemistry, five in History, four in Political Science, two in English, and I have every cert Microsoft has ever issued, plus all the ones from every other tech company in the history of the world, and several that haven't even been issued yet. I also have Letters of Mark and Repraisal from England, France, and Spain, and Patents of Nobility from the Holy Roman Empire.

Since you can't disprove any of that, we can start this discussion.

People who hide behind credentials, especially ones they can't prove, are just incompetents with arogance issues.

Property of The Thread

• Alvin Ramard (3/29/2010)

Gift Peddie (3/29/2010)

I'm giving up on the idea of having understandable English in the thread.

Me too..and i think the person in an odd way has succeeded in distracting the discussion totally in her favor...thereby proving it not worthy of having at all. I dont know about others but I do feel kind of silly even talking to her so long.

There are so many places people can go to to resolve communication and cultural issues, here we are trying to educate someone who is repeatedly belligerant/arrogant and not interested.Just a waste of time.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 685 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply