Want to create a Log Shipping

• I have this database in production server and I want to have the log shipping created as the database need to be in report server in read mode,

Need help with this

thanks in Advance,

• Start with Books Online. There's fairly good coverage of log shipping in there.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Msg 32052, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_add_log_shipping_secondary_primary, Line 78

Parameter '@backup_destination_directory' cannot be null or empty. Specify a value for the named parameter and retry the operation.

I get this message, may I know How to fix this,

• Wild guess..

Parameter '@backup_destination_directory' cannot be null or empty. Specify a value for the named parameter and retry the operation.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• I am almost there with the sucess, but I have the log shipping data on secondary server as READ, How can I make it as READ/STANDBY Only

• On the log shipping dialog, secondary database settings, the restore transaction log tab, select standby instead of no recovery mode.

Gail Shaw

• dsohal (4/17/2012)

I have the log shipping data on secondary server as READ, How can I make it as READ/STANDBY Only

Not sure what you mean here, the only options you have are "Norecovery" or "Standby" mode. The database will either be marked "Restoring" or "Standby\Readonly".

Please detail the exact steps you have taken so far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• that is why How to get it standby/read only, I restored for .bak file and then ran the query to make the database as read only, I am not sure how to make it standby/read,

Thanks,

D

• dsohal (4/18/2012)

I restored for .bak file and then ran the query to make the database as read only, I am not sure how to make it standby/read

so, you restored the database with recovery and then set it read only is that correct?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Yes please,

• Drop the database and restore it again, specifying WITH STANDBY. Or better, since it's log shipping, use the log shipping dialog to set it up the first time.

Gail Shaw

• you need to restore the full backup using either

WITH NORECOVERY

or

WITH STANDBY = drive:\path\standby_file_name

you may then initiate log shipping. Alternatively let the Log Shippiong setup process do this for you if you are unsure, just select the option to initialise the secondary database 😉

• It is a secondary server, I know it sounds dumb, but if I drop the database, what configuration I need to do, on log shipping,

• It tells cannot be restored using with standby because database upgrade is needed

• Then you'll have to restore WITH NORECOVERY leaving the database unavailable.

There is little point in log shipping between versions unless done as an upgrade mechanism. You can't make the secondary readable and if it's for DR then if the secondary ever has to be made active, there's no way to fail back to the primary.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply